• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

exploder idle issues

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 92 exploder and last wed i pulled off the maf, throttle body, and iac and cleaned them all real good. ever since last thu the motor idles at 1100-1300 rpm. ive already checked for vacuum leaks and cant find any, anyone else got suggestions on where and what else to check?

88_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L EFI
Transmission
Manual
High Idle

Did you by chance remove the Throttle Postion Sensor off the side of the throttle body when you were cleaning it? It sounds like you may have removed it and not positioned it correctly when you reinstalled it. I had the very same issue with my 88 Ranger and adjusting the TPS fixed the high idle.

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
no, i left the tps on while i cleaned the tb, could it be possible that carb cleaner got inside it and fried it? cause the only other thing i can figure is that the iac may be bad, but it ran fine after i cleaned it until i got off work the next day

88_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L EFI
Transmission
Manual
I don't see Carb cleaner hurting anything on the iac as long as you didn't spray it on the electrical side of it.

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i didnt and ive cleaned the iac twice now, no change. this is really irritating me cause it ran awesome right after i cleaned everything but has been idling hight since i got off work last thursday, and i havent figured it out yet. i did get three codes last night when i scanned it with the KOER test, gave me dtc 411, 412, and 538, you think they might be related?

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
pull the codes and see it the tps is the problem or something else, I cleaned my MAF with vinegar and what a difference it made, no more hesitation.

Louis

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This happened to me once. I dunno that it's your problem, but my issue was that my TB had been so gunked up for so long that the computer had learned to deal with it by opening the IAC further. I went and removed the gunk and the computer didn't adjust very well. I had to go and manually reset my idle speed.

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
might be my problem too cause my tb was pretty nasty, just disconnected my battery, gonna see if that does anything

Last edited:

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
well i just had my battery disconnected for around an hour and didnt do anything.

This happened to me once. I dunno that it's your problem, but my issue was that my TB had been so gunked up for so long that the computer had learned to deal with it by opening the IAC further. I went and removed the gunk and the computer didn't adjust very well. I had to go and manually reset my idle speed.
how do i manually reset my idle speed?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'll have to look it up at work on monday. I don't have access to manuals that old from home.

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
ok, thanx any help is appreciated

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
ok, so i was told by a local shop that my exploder was idling so high cause the intake gaskets were leaking and i just got done changing the water pump, upper and lower intake and the valve cover gaskets. and its still acting the same. one other thing its been doin is when im coming to a stop the motor idles at about 1200 and after i stop and the truck rocks backward from the braking motion idle goes down to 1000. anyone ever seen that before?

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
Don't buy that till you check it yourself. Take some carb cleaner and slowly spray around the intake gaskets and ALL of the vacuum lines. If it changes idle then you have a leak. Take the air inlet tube off and look at / cover the iac inlet hole. If the idle drops it's the iac. As stated earlier the computer has reprogrammed due to the gunk build up. But it sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
well i put a new iac on the truck and already changed all those gaskets cause they were leaking anyway. and i sprayed all of the vacuum lines and couldnt find one that was leaking. when i unplug the iac and start the motor it starts and idles at 1000 till you plug the iac back in then it jumps to 1200. and like i said when i come to a stop the idle drops to 1000 rpm, and ive never seen anything do that before

85ranger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
how many different causes are there for this engine to idle high? power steering pump goin out wouldnt do that would it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals