• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WTH? What's wrong with this Tundra Frame?

Shotokan1509

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Motortrend car of the year! err I mean truck

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Motortrend car of the year! err I mean truck
It is cute how they waited until just after the deadline last year to release it so it didn't go head to head with the new Silverado. If their truck is so wonderful that would have been a great time to rub GM's (the number one selling truck) nose in it.

For the record though, for frame strength the new F-150 is unriveled. If it was 5 years ago the Tundra would probably be cleaning house against it. For years trucks have been fine with a more flexible frame. Our 1980 F-350 has had the bed dent the back of the cab on both sides from flexing at some point in time, it is still a good truck IMO.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
that is the kind of testing that i like to see. actual real world testing!

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've seen another video tested by the same guys about tow hooks: F-150 vs the tundra hooks.

Be-it that hooks may not be the best way to judge a vehicle however overall quality and placement is key for when designing them (as stated in the video)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DdABRH9EsSw

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ever driven down a gravel road? While that is an extreme scenario, I've been on country roads that do just about the same thing. It still represents a comparitive view between the trucks. That, and the more your frame flexes while driving down the road, the less effective your suspension is at keeping the tires in contact with the pavement. I don't want dents in the back of my cab because I decided to go for a drive...

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
washboard roads. the only way to drive them is incredibly slow or at a fairly high speed so you float over the tops of the bumps.

Thumper113

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
washboard roads. the only way to drive them is incredibly slow or at a fairly high speed so you float over the tops of the bumps.
Yup, there's a bunch of washboard roads around here. Problem here is.........if you drive 'em at a high rate of speed, you'll slide off a cliff or into a wall of rock & dirt because they're really bad on tight turns. I usually encounter them on my way to run a trail so I air down once I hit the dirt road since I'd I'd do it at the trailhead anyway. After airing down to 10-12 psi, I can barely feel the washboards & the tires stay on the road surface.

About the video, I didn't post it as a bash on the Tundra, I posted it as an example of "There is no perfect truck". Where the F150 excells in the frame department over the Toyota, I'm pretty sure that there would be something else sub-par to the Toyota on a different part of the F150. It just struck me as very funny when I saw that video since the new Tundra is marketed as the best light duty truck...............EVER.

The "C" Channel frames on Rangers & previous F150's sure have a lot of bend to 'em kinda like the Tundra does. They may not wobble the hell out of the bed like the Tundra but they're not real strong either.

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
Damn! That thing has a frame as stiff as overcooked pasta. I had a stock '73 Dodge 1/2 ton that would blur vision if you tried that stunt. I tried.

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
I have to say that I get it that frames have some flex... if it was too stiff, the rear wheels would be in the air too much and you would get no traction...this is an ElCamino separated in the middle. People want soft suspensions like this on their trucks.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll bet the Ridgeline would be the best at that--no joke. Unit body and independent rear. No movement and the tires wouldn't leave the ground anywhere.

It seems like a stupid test. None of that movement will hurt any of those trucks.

But it isn't a stupid test really. All of those trucks failed it. They were all beating the shit out of the truck and driver though the F150 was doing the best. The reason I say it wasn't a stupid test is that when you live on a gravel road, the road gets like that a couple of times a year and the county has to keep them graded. The road out to my inlaws gets so bad that in an empty pickup you turn sideways on curves and have to make running starts on hills because the rear tires are on the ground--rarely. It gets bad.

With an independent suspension and not much unsprund mass to deal with, it's barely noticeable. Look at the front of those pickups--they are all independant. A straight axle front does abpout what the rear does--throws you side to side banging your head off the windows and makes it even harder to keep the truck straight.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, there's a bunch of washboard roads around here. Problem here is.........if you drive 'em at a high rate of speed, you'll slide off a cliff or into a wall of rock & dirt because they're really bad on tight turns. I usually encounter them on my way to run a trail so I air down once I hit the dirt road since I'd I'd do it at the trailhead anyway. After airing down to 10-12 psi, I can barely feel the washboards & the tires stay on the road surface.

About the video, I didn't post it as a bash on the Tundra, I posted it as an example of "There is no perfect truck". Where the F150 excells in the frame department over the Toyota, I'm pretty sure that there would be something else sub-par to the Toyota on a different part of the F150. It just struck me as very funny when I saw that video since the new Tundra is marketed as the best light duty truck...............EVER.

The "C" Channel frames on Rangers & previous F150's sure have a lot of bend to 'em kinda like the Tundra does. They may not wobble the hell out of the bed like the Tundra but they're not real strong either.

The trail road up to St. Marrys is horrible. I was slideing around more then when on the trail in the snow.

Same thing w/ Red Cone. It was rough. Harder then most hte trail even.

dranger21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Theres quite a bit of these washboard roads around here especially on turns. It may be somewhat of a stupid test but I dont want to be down over a bank because i cant control it around a turn. I would have liked to see how a dodge handles it too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals