• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front suspension

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I need new ball joints, coil spring insulators. MOST likely I need to replace tie rod ends, u joints, wheel bearings(races). Ok, my most pressing question is how to install coil spring insulators? I looked at the tech library and didn't really find anything relative to this. Since I will be doing the ball joints and wheel bearings while I am at it, as these have to come off to do the ball joints anyways, is it any easier to install the coil spring insulators while I have all that other stuff out?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know how much easier it will be just to have the rest of the front end apart. You have to take the wheel off, and the spring needs to come out, but beyond that, I'm not too sure how much overlap there is.

It's certainly a good time to do them though. That way, if you do need to take something else out it will already be out of your way.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so how does the spring come off? Is there a retaining nut on the top/bottoM?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
On the bottom there is...

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so would using a spring compressor then remove the bolt be the best way to do this?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'm assuming.. last time i did it, i dropped the axles down to b/c i was doing my lift kit..

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
when I put the rad arm on the first time all I did was use a 1 1/8" box end and removed the nut thur the spring. It's tough to get off due to the thread locker and type of nut. If you can use a impact then it is a bit easier. there is a upper retainer you need to un bolt [1/2"bolt]. jack up on the frame not the axle. take off the tire and let the axle hang. after the nut comes off push down on the axel and remove the spring. it only goes back in one way. [the spring] it lines up to the indent. put in your new isolater and put it back together. remember to check the nut after 500 miles and rethighten it if needed. hardest part is getting the internal nut off,it only turns a small bit at a time . good luck.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ah ok that makes sense. Thank you :) Beats having the shop do it, they want $50 for both front isolators! Ridiculous.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It might end up you wish you had the shop do it at that price, depending on how rusty they are. That seems like a reasonable price.
Good luck,

Richard

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, but I hate to pay that much for JUST the RIGHT side ball joints and the coil spring insulators. We have a couple more options we are going to try and ask a friend's mechanic to see how much he would charge to do all this if we bought the parts. If its too much, then we will be learning to do it on our own.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals