• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing capacity

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Per Ford my truck is rated to tow 5560lbs with weight distribution hitch. Not to exceed 600lbs tongue weight. GCWR is 9500lbs. Maximum frontal area of the trailer recommended to be under 50 sqare feet.
However, if I planned to tow a trailer over 5000lbs I'd get a bigger truck. That just seems like a lot of struggling for the Ranger. Ford seems to over rate their trucks though.
Nothing wrong with overengineering a tool. I just pulled my manual on the 2003 and see that you are correct. The newer Rangers seem to have a greater tow rating than the generation before. One of the reasons that you should always resort to your owners manual when checking out all this. :icon_thumby: Sorry about the confusion.
One thing I would point out is that the Ranger (1996) did not "struggle" with the trailer weight even while being overloaded by that much weight. The biggest issue was pulling off a stop on a hill. Without the granny low and with the 3.27 rear end, it didn't quite have the oomph I would have liked, but because it was over 250 miles of 4 lane highway, I didn't have to worry about it much. It kept up my normal 60mph in 4th which is the manner is which I tow. It did a far better job that what I would have given it credit for before I did it myself. IF I planned on larger trailer loads like this I would use a larger truck. I've done extensive towing and hauling with full sized pickups; very limited with mini-pickups. This is the truck I have right now though.

FRDTRKR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Towing

Well, I have an '03 4dr 4.0 auto FX4 with all stock except for cat back duals and Monroe Max air rear shocks. I regularly tow a 16 foot dual axle #7000 gross wt trailer, with NO problems, other than reduced fuel economy!! The cat back duals wit ha flow pro, merely give me some more noise and, since I grew up in the '50's, if it is a pickup, it MUST have 2 tailpipes!!!! I put the air shocks on when the original went south at 100K, an Monroe is the only mfg. that still makes air shocks for the Ranger!!! The first pair had a leaker shock and I had a terrible time getting it replaced, but now, they do exactly what I want, which is to keep the truck level!!! I am extremely pleased with my truck!!!!:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals