• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oilpump maybe?

mondo3006

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
oil p guage been reading abnormal 4 a year. figured guage was messed up. now pingign or ticking.guage very low and comes up a lil and tick stops. i think its my oilpump. any thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes a valve train tick at idle is a sign of low oil pressure.

Have you changed the oil and filter?

Could be the oil pump but oil pump doesn't really create the oil pressure, oil pressure is from the back pressure at the bearings.
When new, bearings have a small gap that allows a little oil to pass, much less than an oil pump pushes in, so a back pressure is built up, that's what the oil pressure gauge reads.
Oil pressure goes up with RPM because the bearings gaps don't change but the oil pumps flow increases, so back pressure increases.

As an engine gets more miles the bearing gaps get wider, just normal wear, so back pressure goes down, this is noticed at idle first and at the top end of the engine since it has lower pressure to begin with, longest oil passages.

And in some cases 1 bearing will wear more than the others, this lowers the back pressure on the whole system.

I would try running a "thicker oil", 40w or even 50w, what this does is lower the flow at the bearing gaps, harder to push thru the gaps, so increases the back pressure in the whole system, which pushes more oil to the upper engine.

If the thicker oil doesn't make a difference then yes, it may help to get a new oil pump, the flow would be the issue.

1986bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
another thing that could be causing this is if it has ever been low on oil and run that way more than once or twice. i had a friend who had an 89 b2 with a 2.9 in it and even with fresh oil and filter the pressure would start out nice and then drop to almost nothing and it would tick and "knock" and act like it was out of oil. i read somewhere on the net that the main cause for this is the "oil holes" in the main bearings get "covered" when they get low on oil and drove like that. when i say covered, i mean the bottom of the connecting rod where it bolts to the crank makes just enough contact to score up the metal just enough to cover the holes and slow or even stop the flow of oil. my friends was most noticeable after a decent drive(1/2 hr or more of actual driving) it ran great but would knock and tap or whatever you choose to call it. he eventually threw a rod thru the side of the block with me and 4 other people in his lil b2 and we were more than an hr from home and he drove it all the home like that. true testimony as to the durability of these little 2.9s. if cared for and run 1/2 decently not overly abused they will run and last forever

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
If you drove it low on oil that would cause excessive wear of the bearing. That enlarges the clearance. When you start up the engine, the oil is cold and thick. It fills the clearance. But once the oil thins out the extra clearance causes low oil pressure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals