• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is there a limit on CCA for my b2?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just got my new battery today for the winch today and was curious if there is a limit on how many CCA my factory b2 can take. The battery I got is rated at 950 CCA and I don't want to burn anything up. Right now that battery is going to be for the winch but I am wanting to get one to power the lights and starting. At $40 a pop I can afford to get the extra battery. My buddy gets them at cost and that's what he charges me for a $200 battery! To start out with for temporary use I am just going to mount the battery under the hood and hook the winch to it. I will keep the battery separate and after I use the winch I was gonna run alligator clips from the starting battery to this battery so that it is charged just not under a load. I am hoping this will get me through my trip to Gulches ORV Park in 2 weeks then I can come back and add another alternator or a more powerful one. I believe the alternator I have now puts off 110 amps but I know it is not the one that is listed for it at the parts store. Anyways I guess my question is can I use one of these truck batteries as my starting battery? I know the whole thing about needing a deep cycle battery for this winch this is just to get me by until I am able to get the deep cycle.

[/URL][/IMG]

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not really. The various loads will only draw as much amperage as they need to run, unless there is some other problem with the circuit.

A 950 battery won't kill anything.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
that is what i needed to know. Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I ran an 850 in my truck for years. The only thing to watch with high amp batteries is if the vehicle sits a lot the battery dies faster. High amp configurations sulfate and die quickly.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well hopefully it won't sit too long

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
There is never an upper limit to anything current wise. Current cannot be forced on an electrical device. Therefore, you could add an alternator that can supply 1000 amps :) No problem. Voltage needs to be close and the other component is resistance. So unless something changed with resistance with a device, and you supply the correct voltage . . . never have a concern in regards to current ( which is Amps ).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals