• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4-speed to a 5-speed

BroncoIIPower

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Clothing optional
I bought a 1990 2wd Bronco II about 7 years ago. The guy I bought it from had the top half rebuilt then the bought half went out. I got it for about $400. I took it home and parked it. Finally last month I moved it from my sister's house to my dad's. Its become my little project again. I have plans to convert it to 4wd.

I discovered it has the Mazda M50OD-R1 2wd transmission. I found someone selling a transmission and transfercase out of a 1984 BII for $100. I did some research and discovered that the transmission I bought is a Toyo Koygo 4-speed.

I've got a couple of questions. First question, did Mazda make the Toyo transmissions? Second question, could I swap the tail shafts and tail shaft housings to make my 5-speed a 4wd transmission?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've got a couple of questions. First question, did Mazda make the Toyo transmissions? Second question, could I swap the tail shafts and tail shaft housings to make my 5-speed a 4wd transmission?
As I understand it the TK transmissions were made by a division of Mazda.

The main shaft and extension housing can be swapped out to make your M5OD a 4x4 trans, but not with parts from your TK 5. The best candidate for a parts donor is the Ranger 3.0 version of the M5OD. It is fairly common and worthless for anything else since the 3.0 sucks as a truck engine.

If you find one from an Explorer it would bolt right in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals