• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4x4 5.0 Prerunner build

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello fellas,
I've been doing a lot of research here and in other forum posts. I've acquired a lot of great information, but wondering if you guys knew of any other tips and tricks when building this prerunner. I will be using a virgin 94 4.0 4X4 5spd. Before I got into the off road race scene, I was in the drag racing scene with the fox body mustangs. Sooooooo with that being said, I already bought a 97 explorer donor, its the awd auto with the 5.0. I know that I should use the md05-r2 trans with custom driveline, engine mounts and trans mounts, I Will be keeping it a 5spd. As far as shifter position, ill make my own:icon_welder: .. I will be redoing the engine before I stab it, like heads cam intake. Now I have a few questions like about fuel system as far as the return crap. Also I know I may need to reflash the 5.0 computer so that it knows its a manual trans correct? What about speedometer and rpm gauges, I would love the keep the og dash and og cluster. Any input there? Thanks for the help guys. Any response will be greatly appreciated.. :headbang:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

M5OD-R2(M5R2) from a 4.2l V6, it has same bolt pattern as 302/5.0l, 1997-2003 will have same shifter placement as Ranger's M5R1
And just get transfer case with it, manual shift if you can find one
1997 to 2003, F-150 4.2l V6 4x4 would be the source

1997 Explorer should run 30psi fuel pressure so "Return style" same as 1994 Ranger
1998 and up used Returnless, and 60psi fuel pressure

Yes, Explorer V8 PCM(computer) will have software inside that will want to see an automatic transmission when it is on, so that needs to be removed, also PCM can be tuned for any changes you make to the engine.
PCM will run the engine as is, so can be used until it is reprogrammed, CEL will stay on because of missing transmission

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

M5OD-R2(M5R2) from a 4.2l V6, it has same bolt pattern as 302/5.0l, 1997-2003 will have same shifter placement as Ranger's M5R1
And just get transfer case with it, manual shift if you can find one
1997 to 2003, F-150 4.2l V6 4x4 would be the source

1997 Explorer should run 30psi fuel pressure so "Return style" same as 1994 Ranger
1998 and up used Returnless, and 60psi fuel pressure

Yes, Explorer V8 PCM(computer) will have software inside that will want to see an automatic transmission when it is on, so that needs to be removed, also PCM can be tuned for any changes you make to the engine.
PCM will run the engine as is, so can be used until it is reprogrammed, CEL will stay on because of missing transmission

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the response RonD..

Ok, so I got the correct info so the m50d-r2 = m5r2 for short, and I need to find a manual t case from the f150 also same years as the trans. as far as the clutch system? will the stock clutch system work? I mean ill be using a good clutch and flywheel? but as the slave cylinder and all that?

As far as the fuel system i shouldn't have any problems correct? would I maybe have to do custom new lines?

What about any input on gauges?

When I remove all the stuff I need from the donor, I will be taking the engine, is the harness separate from the body harness on both vehicles?:icon_confused:
and will the engine harness from the 5.0 connect to the body or cab harness to my ranger?

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey man, those plans sound awesome aside from ONE thing. the 5 speed. that trans does TERRIBLE in fast offroad situations. I have friends who have rebuilt them more times than they can keep count of. youll be lucky to even get one season out of it. i got 2 trips out of mine behind a stock 4.0 ohv. now, I run a c4 with a full manual valve body in it for that "manual" gear control and i couldnt be happier aside from not having overdrive. if you want overdrive id suggest running a e40d trans with a manual electronic shift controller (since they dont make a full manual valve body for it)

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
hey man, those plans sound awesome aside from ONE thing. the 5 speed. that trans does TERRIBLE in fast offroad situations. I have friends who have rebuilt them more times than they can keep count of. youll be lucky to even get one season out of it. i got 2 trips out of mine behind a stock 4.0 ohv. now, I run a c4 with a full manual valve body in it for that "manual" gear control and i couldnt be happier aside from not having overdrive. if you want overdrive id suggest running that auto trans with a manual electronic shift controller (since they dont make a full manual valve body for it) or the a4ld is also a really really good option.
An A4LD behind a 5.0???

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
An A4LD behind a 5.0???
you're right. i confused myself with the 4.0 and 5.0 talk haha. my mistake. What i was meaning to say was a e4od trans *face palm*

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
you're right. i confused myself with the 4.0 and 5.0 talk haha. my mistake. What i was meaning to say was a e4od trans *face palm*
OOOOOhhhhhhhh shoooooot...... dam what a complete heart break..... what a crucial piece of info.:icon_idea:
dammit I guess I may have to go back to the drawing board. I will be using the truck and my daily for now. As I start building the suspension, cage, rear half of truck then obviously it won't be a daily at that point. But within the time she becomes a non daily Im going to romp on that thing so I can learn the truck.

tell me more about this e40d...
does it still use a clutch? crap I'm just lost now :bawling::sad:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure of your use for a Prerunner, but that designation usually means higher speeds to me not crawling.
I do like automatics for off-roading, at slower speeds, feathering clutch pedal gets very old very fast and stalling engine can get down right dangerous in some situations, :)
And in general off-roading automatics are fine

With a manual you get known acceleration and deceleration for each gear, and can modify that using the clutch.

AOD is a 4 speed automatic for V8s and you can install Manual/Automatic valve body in it, no computer shift control needed.

So you could swap between M5R2 and AOD to see which was best for you, lol, if money is not a problem

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OOOOOhhhhhhhh shoooooot...... dam what a complete heart break..... what a crucial piece of info.:icon_idea:

dammit I guess I may have to go back to the drawing board. I will be using the truck and my daily for now. As I start building the suspension, cage, rear half of truck then obviously it won't be a daily at that point. But within the time she becomes a non daily Im going to romp on that thing so I can learn the truck.

tell me more about this e40d...

does it still use a clutch? crap I'm just lost now :bawling::sad:

Sorry it was a long morning for me.

Does not use a clutch but will still need to be manually shifted per a winters shifter or other like products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure of your use for a Prerunner, but that designation usually means higher speeds to me not crawling.
I do like automatics for off-roading, at slower speeds, feathering clutch pedal gets very old very fast and stalling engine can get down right dangerous in some situations, :)
And in general off-roading automatics are fine

With a manual you get known acceleration and deceleration for each gear, and can modify that using the clutch.

AOD is a 4 speed automatic for V8s and you can install Manual/Automatic valve body in it, no computer shift control needed.

So you could swap between M5R2 and AOD to see which was best for you, lol, if money is not a problem

Good info Ron
Yeah I will be using this truck to learn the terrain I will be racing for hopefully Many years to come. I have 4 score baja races under my belt, so I completely understand the meaning of pre running/studying and learning the terrain. But us boys being boys most of our pre running will be at high speeds:headbang:

To add to your opinion I completely agree with you on stalling in danger zones and clutch fatigue. I am now shifting my thoughts towards this AOD trans..

Could you guys point me in the right direction on buying one of these trans with the cool manual shifter valve body

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry it was a long morning for me.

Does not use a clutch but will still need to be manually shifted per a winters shifter or other like products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries its hard for me to keep up also, being a business owner and all it can get tough..

does this trans bolt right up to the 302?
can this trans still work to be a 4x4?

I own a diesel performance and repair shop, I have a few 4r100's with transfer case laying around that need to be rebuilt, could I use one of them?:icon_confused:

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No worries its hard for me to keep up also, being a business owner and all it can get tough..

does this trans bolt right up to the 302?
can this trans still work to be a 4x4?

I own a diesel performance and repair shop, I have a few 4r100's with transfer case laying around that need to be rebuilt, could I use one of them?:icon_confused:
no personal experience but it should be a yes answer to both questions since it came in OJ simpson broncos!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals