• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Bronco 2 has no power?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
OK pete my truck runs just fine with plenty of power I`m not trying to help you he is the one with Qs.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? huh ? next . . . .

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Wild Bill, you are absolutely wrong about "those two screws". You need to learn more about them before you make such comments and lead someone to think they will make a difference. They will have NO change in the running of the engine at speed. They are idle mixture screws. They effect the idle circuit and transition circuit only. They have ZERO effect on the main circuit.
Funny, after adjusting those 2 screws mine runs excellent now, when those were out of adjustment I had power loss, hesitation problems, etc. Sounds like you need to learn about carburetors before you go trying to yell at someone and tell them what they don't know. Obviously you don't know me, and you don't know about carburetors, or you would know that getting those mixture screws set right or wrong will either cause problems or will fix the problem.

You said it....Mixture Screws. Air/fuel mixture.

I had the exact same problem with my 84 B2, same engine, except I have the manual transmission. Until I got those 2 screws adjusted and bypassed the stupid choke crap I couldn't hardly get any power out of the engine. After several adjustments to those screws it runs great and have all sorts of power and I'm running slightly larger tires as well.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I had the exact same problem with my 84 B2, same engine, except I have the manual transmission. Until I got those 2 screws adjusted and bypassed the stupid choke crap I couldn't hardly get any power out of the engine. After several adjustments to those screws it runs great and have all sorts of power and I'm running slightly larger tires as well.

If those 2 screws aren't initially set right so the truck idles on it's own is sure as hell won't run right at higher speeds either.

I'm kind of thinking more along the lines of a vacuum leak though, if those are present anything you adjust on the carburetor won't do much if any good. A vacuum leak will cause all sorts of idle control problems, and with the computer feedback system an extremely erratic idle will persist.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals