• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford releases video of new Ford Ranger Raptor - Here it is

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Ford has release a video of the Ford Ranger raptor in action. There is some speculation as to whether the Raptor will be sold here, but as I posted on 08/22/17, it has been seen in Michigan:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1602241&postcount=4

According to Car And Driver:

Almost from the moment Ford announced it was preparing a new, mid-size Ranger pickup for the U.S. market, truck fans have speculated whether there would be an off-road-themed version akin to the high-flying F-150 Raptor. Now comes confirmation that the Ranger Raptor is indeed a thing, but there’s a big caveat. That official word is via a video released by Ford South Africa—so we still don’t know whether the Ranger Raptor is just for foreign markets (where the current Ranger is sold) or whether it’s for the new, U.S.-bound truck.

In the video, we see a camouflaged pickup bounding through the Australian Outback and even catching some air—as Raptors are wont to do. The accompanying text says that the Ford Ranger bakkie [that’s a pickup] will get a “purpose-built, desert-racing-inspired” Ford Performance variant that is coming to South Africa “as the new #RangerRaptor.” It even has a hashtag, so you know it’s real.

It’s hard to imagine that Ford would build a Ranger Raptor for other markets but keep it out of the Raptor-loving U.S. of A. That we’ve seen off-road-themed Ranger prototypes here in the States further suggests that the smaller Raptor will fly here as well. While we await official word from Dearborn, check out the bakkie in the video below.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I realize Ford hasn't set a price range yet, but if its anything like the colorado or the tacoma, there is no way I (or many others I imagine) can justify a mid-$30K for a moderately equipped mid-size pick up.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I realize Ford hasn't set a price range yet, but if its anything like the colorado or the tacoma, there is no way I (or many others I imagine) can justify a mid-$30K for a moderately equipped mid-size pick up.
Probably going to be in the $30k range for sure. $20k+ for the stripped down 4x2 model. Gone are the days of a basic no frills work truck for $5k-10k. At least new anyhow, plenty of used stuff out there though :).

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Weird looks like the front end of a Toyota Tundra. Way too large to be a Ranger. Must be once again Ford changing the name on their vehicles. Looks like maybe an F150.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably going to be in the $30k range for sure. $20k+ for the stripped down 4x2 model. Gone are the days of a basic no frills work truck for $5k-10k. At least new anyhow, plenty of used stuff out there though :).
Thank god under $5/hr wages are gone too...

Weird looks like the front end of a Toyota Tundra. Way too large to be a Ranger. Must be once again Ford changing the name on their vehicles. Looks like maybe an F150.
Smaller than a F-150 of pretty much any generation.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I knew that some time ago working at the Lincoln-mercury dealership when they sold the Mark LT at nearly $70k fully decked out...I'll just have to wait a few years before I can pick up a newer model......:annoyed:

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My guess is that most of the camo'ed Rangers that have been seen in the past few months are really part of a refresh of the current T6 that will go on sale in other markets before the next generation is released. The Australian press has speculated that North America will get the next gen before they do. The current T6 was last updated a couple of model years ago and originally went on sale as a 2011 model, I think. These updates are probably intended to maintain sales in other markets before the next gen comes out
which may not happen for them until 2020. I also have no doubt that the North American market will get a dedicated off-road model to compete with the Colorado ZR2. Whether or not it is called a Raptor is yet to be seen.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Thank god under $5/hr wages are gone too...
Well not exactly. Here in Idaho minimum wage is $7.25/hr. There are exceptions to this if you work in a place where you get tips, then the employer can pay you $3.35/hr. During a "training program" they can pay you as little as $4.25/hr. So those $5/hr wages aren't gone, just not very well reported.

Regardless of wages though, $30k for 1/2 or 1/4 of a truck is totally ridiculous. I sure won't waste money buying new again. I'd rather buy used, so doesn't matter to me what they decide to release I won't buy one for many years. Let them depreciate to being worth nothing, then I may look at one HAHA!!!.

Smaller than a F-150 of pretty much any generation.
So 90% of an F-150 size. They're not going to be a compact truck like the original ranger that's for sure, probably a bit larger than the Colorado by the looks of them....so once again why the hell pay $30k+ for part of a truck when for another $10k you can buy a whole truck with a V8. This is exactly why people started buying the F150, Ford priced the Ranger right out of the market because of the pricing on the F-150 many just spend a couple thousand more and bought a 1/2 ton full size truck instead with a V8 and the same fuel economy as the 4.0L V6.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So 90% of an F-150 size. They're not going to be a compact truck like the original ranger that's for sure, probably a bit larger than the Colorado by the looks of them....so once again why the hell pay $30k+ for part of a truck when for another $10k you can buy a whole truck with a V8. This is exactly why people started buying the F150, Ford priced the Ranger right out of the market because of the pricing on the F-150 many just spend a couple thousand more and bought a 1/2 ton full size truck instead with a V8 and the same fuel economy as the 4.0L V6.
You are correct if all you want to do is compare the old Ranger to the F-series. The current T6 Ranger was initially developed for markets where the F-150 is not even sold. The Ranger is the only Ford truck available there which means it was sized to suit those customer's needs.

Truth be told it would also suit the needs of 80 % of truck buyers here but we have more choices and that means Americans being the way we are we are always going to think "bigger is better" (or is that really "bigger is more impressive"?), even if it isn't necessarily true.

IMO Ford and all the other US manufacturers intentionally killed the market for small trucks in pursuit of higher profits by refusing to update them for decades. To the average buyer there wasn't much difference between a 1993 Ranger and the last one sold in 2011.

Fortunately for us GM had the guts to bring back the Colorado because otherwise we would not even be discussing the 2019 Ranger here.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That truck has two too many doors. When did trucks becomes sedans with a bed?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
That truck has two too many doors. When did trucks becomes sedans with a bed?
The same time people started buying and driving trucks as family cars which in turn caused the prices on trucks and SUV's for that matter to skyrocket in price. Used to be a truck cost less than a family sedan because trucks were work vehicles, farm vehicles, not the family car. Even today many trucks are never used as a truck, they are used as commuter vehicles and family sedans and soccer mom cars, the hardest use they get is hitting a curb at the mall.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
You are correct if all you want to do is compare the old Ranger to the F-series. The current T6 Ranger was initially developed for markets where the F-150 is not even sold. The Ranger is the only Ford truck available there which means it was sized to suit those customer's needs.

Truth be told it would also suit the needs of 80 % of truck buyers here but we have more choices and that means Americans being the way we are we are always going to think "bigger is better" (or is that really "bigger is more impressive"?), even if it isn't necessarily true.

IMO Ford and all the other US manufacturers intentionally killed the market for small trucks in pursuit of higher profits by refusing to update them for decades. To the average buyer there wasn't much difference between a 1993 Ranger and the last one sold in 2011.

Fortunately for us GM had the guts to bring back the Colorado because otherwise we would not even be discussing the 2019 Ranger here.
The only compact truck left is the Nissan Frontier, but you gotta get the thing stripped down completely, otherwise you end up with yet another mid-size truck. Same goes for the Tacoma. There isn't a compact pickup anymore, and what Ford is doing with the Ranger still misses the compact pickup niche. I liked the size of the Rangers, they still had the capacity and capability to haul/tow if needed, yet didn't take up a bunch of room, and were great for those that only needed the occasional use of a truck. I sold my 2008 Toyota Tundra because of this, hell in the past few years all I did was use the truck to go to work, maybe in the past 3 years I'd used it to pull my car trailer maybe twice. Time to get rid of the gas hog that was sitting in the driveway not being used and paying for insurance and registration on a vehicle that just didn't fit my needs. Looking at a Ford Expedition as I need more of a people mover and able to haul groceries, medical equipment, etc. Plus easier entry and exit for my mom. Bronco 2 don't work so well for this application, and a car just don't work at all...tried that one already LOL.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The same time people started buying and driving trucks as family cars which in turn caused the prices on trucks and SUV's for that matter to skyrocket in price. Used to be a truck cost less than a family sedan because trucks were work vehicles, farm vehicles, not the family car. Even today many trucks are never used as a truck, they are used as commuter vehicles and family sedans and soccer mom cars, the hardest use they get is hitting a curb at the mall.
They still make base trucks... and they start at about the same price as a Taurus.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals