• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch fork issues?

pcr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Im new to this so bear with me. I have an 83 ford ranger with the 2.8l 4wd. 5 speed manual tranny with the external slave cylinder. I believe my clutch fork is coming off of the post inside the bell housing so it rattles around and the push rod on the slave cylinder doesnt always make good contact. Almost had me stranded down a dead end trail. I cannot seem to find any new clutch forks to verify if i am missing something on the reinstallation. there is a retainer clip type thing on the end of the fork/lever that appears to hold it into the post inside the bel; housing. Even after trying to get more spring in that clip it still easily comes out. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Your 1983 2.8l should have a Toyo Kogyo, TK4, 4-speed
So may be previous owner swapped to TK5 and kept TK4 bell housing, TK5 had internal slave as far as I remember

Not that it matters :)
Parts will be hard to find, but look for TK4 parts
You will need to pull the trans to see whats wrong and go from there, may be fixable with existing parts

Last edited:

pcr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the reply. I have the numbers for both the bell housing and the transmission but i think I found the issue. The piston on the slave cylinder was pushing the clutch fork out of its position because we forgot to install a spacer on the outside of the slave cylinder that holds the slave cylinder off of the bell housing about a quarter of an inch. I drove the truck for over two years before doing a clutch plate change and after that is when the issue started. I havent gotten the spacer back on yet but I believe that will solve my issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Jon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals