• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New U.S. market Ford Ranger: thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Maybe, instead of integrating computers "to make it so you can't work on your vehicle", they did it to improve them significantly? Now, you don't HAVE to work on them, and that's what the vast majority of car buyers want. They start easier, and more often now that fuel injection is around. They go longer without maintenance. They get better power and fuel economy at the same time. The vast majority of failures that occur "at the worst possible time" are mechanical in nature, and have nothing to do with any computers.

You CAN go buy the vehicle you want, it's just not coming from your local dealer lot. When you describe what you want, you're describing several million vehicles that are already on the road, but you're choosing to complain because none of them are 'new' enough. You've said a few things that you don't want if you were to buy a new truck, but what would you want? What draws you to the idea of wanting a new truck at all vs just keeping the old truck that you like, and not worrying about the new stuff that doesn't scratch your itch?
New vehicles full of electronics aren't exactly trouble free LOL. They just cost a fortune to repair and at that point many will toss them and buy something else.

I don't mind driving something new, but I find there are just too many gadgets in them and electronic nannies that get in the way when all you want to do is get out of your own driveway in a snowstorm.

I have my 88 B2 and it has its share of issues which I'm slowly getting taken care of, but the body on this one is in really good condition so I'm slowly going through and fixing some minor stuff that comes up as I drive it more. I don't think my B2 is going to be going anywhere, I like it way too much.

I'd love to get another Ranger, but haven't really figured out what I want for sure. The newer Rangers have far more electronics in them, but they don't have the stability control and I don't think they had traction control or maybe they did towards the end of their production? I just like the compact truck platform, especially when I don't need a lot of hauling/towing capacity all the time.

The newest Ranger I drove was a 99, it had the 3.0L V6 and an automatic transmission, and was 2WD. The 98 I drove for a while as a work truck had the 4 cylinder in it and manual transmission thing had almost 400k on it when the transmission decided that you no longer needed 2nd gear LOL.

I looked at a 2001 Ranger and was really close to buying it but never did for some reason.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The newer Ranger isnt a unibody, and i dont thik it even has IRS.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I don't think they have announced anything for what the North American Ranger will be yet.

these are in heavy camo and prowling about s/e michigan. 1st two days home from work i noticed quite a few critters in test platforms.

only thing i can say is, diesel, frame, and from what i have seen...solid rear axles and usable beds on the reg cab and better then the sport trac on the bigger ones....if catch one at a gas station i will get some pics...

what i thought was a bronco turned out to be some sort of jeep...i was actually happy for a minute....what i suspect is the actual bronco is not like any of the prototypes i have seen...more like a explorer situation which essentially looks like the ranger...but obviously the explorer is unit body. it was in heavy heavy camo though so i suspect they are going to the show. theres prototypes of all brands and types around...more then usual..

i hope it comes, and i will give it a fair shake....if its good, we will have a diesel version at our house in a crew when its time to turn in the ecoboost edge..

5.0EB would give them a hard time I think.

FWIW the Ford 6.2 has bore spacing that legally puts it in the big block class.
why...yes it does. and that was on purpose....long long time ago.

and for rusty...there may...possibly be a pushrod engine with a blue oval on it at some point...ya never know.

You mean like googles self driving car that has logged something like 1/2 dozen "mishaps" in one year?

You will never take the human element completly out of driving. A computer cannot reason, therefore, if the road is icy, foggy, etc, all that car knows is what the posted speed limit is.

Besides, states wont allow it in large numbers, they make to much off traffic fines.

Not to mention, a computer cant back up a trailer, desend a steep grade, or compensate for ANYTHING unless it is givin the parameters.

Lets say your blasting down the interstate on a nice day, hit a construction zone that is not logged in gps data, person slows to 55, gps car continues on said path untill it realizes its taking out barrels and hits a portashitter before it stops.

Give me a good ol RWD V8 powered piece of machinery and lets see if the robo car can follow me down a rutted country road without self destructing its pansy suspension.

i have to speculate, in a shorter period of time then i would like to admit....likely while we still are breathing...maybe under 10 years....that robo car will not only pass you while trying to prove your point down that rutted country road....it will turn around to save your sorry ass crashed and upside down on fire in the ravine....put the fire out and extract you from that good ol v8 pos your driving.

we are doomed. you would think...i would think it is a good thing....

but, no....i dont like it.

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am excited to see what Ford will offer us. I expect to be in the market for another truck in the next year- an F150, Tacoma, or Ranger. Whichever, it will need to be 4x4 with an extended cab at minimum.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Will it be the same Global Ranger???

The Bronco will be based on the Ranger. Hell yes a midsize Bronco!:yahoo:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I was just going to say its now actually official the Ranger and Bronco will be returning. However, should it just be called a Bronco? The original B2 was based on the Ranger, so would it be a Bronco 2, a Bronco, or a Bronco 1-1/2?

Like the looks of the new Bronco but can't imagine the ridiculous price tag they'll want for one though :(.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For what it's worth, nobody knows what either the Ranger or Bronco will look like, as images haven't been released. The image of the Bronco that most articles are showing is a rendering done by a guy who has no affiliation with Ford.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals