• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whine noise from subs

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i have two 12 duals and i get a whining noise from them and it gets louder as rpms increase.i have all my amp wiring beside each other.So can it be cause of all the wires are together i heard it could be or what else could i try?I also found out on the amp if i cange the x over or crossover to lpf it clears up all the way but when i put in on full it whines and whines more when i turn on the lights or rev the rpms up.the amp is spx pro audio anyone know where i can get an online mauel at and the truck is a 1988 ranger super cab with the 2.9l.thanks for the help

Last edited:

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like its interference from your wiring. Try moving your signal wires from your receiver away from the power and ground. About a foot and a half should do.

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
what kind of RCA wires are you using?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Idk the wires were in there when i bought the truck i think scoshse though but i boght a scoshe amp hook up kit and didnt use the new rcas just the olds ones but it only whines whdn u change the x over but when u put in on lpf where the subs just hit it works fine but on full where it hits and plays music it whines

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
what you should do is run the new rca's down the other side of the cab as the power wire (for example, if your power wire runs down the drivers side, put the new rca's on the passengers side) this fixed it for me, and mine did the same thing, it would.scream like a banshee, i just got the 11$ scoshe shielded rca's at walmart and it works fine now

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
also, do you have a good ground on your amp? thick enough cable? scrape the paint back from where you hooked it to they body/frame?

new rca's ran opposite side of the power wires usually fix this. check all your grounds tho. battery, radio, amp, hood ground strap... yeah, it makes my amp whine when that hood strap broke... idk, lol

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
or get quality cables. i have a 20 foot insulated monster cable ran right next to my 4ga and 8ga power wires with no interference at all. but the powers are tsunami wires too... so idk. and one set of my rca's arnt even insulated at all, infact there from a dvd player.....

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i had dvd player cables in mine one time... hearing and feeling my turn signals bothered me. haha

mr. ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It's your ground wire.. If u wire your amp wire and your cd deck wire need to be the same ground and that won't happen

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Okay but I don't understand why it only happens on two settings and not the other one and it's not really loud but u can hear the whine.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
ok i changed the speakers wires going to the subs from the amp,changed the ground location and moved the remote wire and rca cables away from the power wire still no luck.and it doesnt whine when the truck is off just when it runs if you listen really closley to the subs u can hear the truck running so would a power wire filter stop this?

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
check your rcas in the back of your deck... maybe there loose.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
check your rcas in the back of your deck... maybe there loose.
nope there not loose either.If you listen to the speakers closely on full you can hear the engine running when its on lpf it is clear but on lpf it only hits and on full it hits and plays music.And other ideas?could it be a bad amp?Can you get a filter to put on the power wire to clear the noise up?

Last edited:

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
mind putting pictures up of how everythings hooked up to the amp? that might help us source out some problems. try moving your amp to a different spot.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
mind putting pictures up of how everythings hooked up to the amp? that might help us source out some problems. try moving your amp to a different spot.
I dont know how to add pictures on here but i can tell you how i got it hooked up.Ok i got my power wire on the positive terminal bolt and ran through the drivers side firewall and down the kickpanel and under the carpet to behind the drivers seat.the rcas are ran from.the radio down the dirvers side with the power wire and so is the remote wire.the ground is on a screw near the drivers side and the amp is under the drivers side seat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals