• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Inherited my dads 89 B2

170Parker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
My dad passed on Jan 2nd, he didn't leave much behind but I did get his 1989 B2 that he used as a daily commuter and had big plans for. Its not in the greatest shape but it runs, the 4x4 works, and the tranny seems to be in good condition. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most mechanical guy but I'm going to try to take on this project (pending the title business). He left some small parts behind, new in box, like a fuel filter, 02 sensor, distributor cap, plugs, ect. My vision is a 4" lift, with some beefy tires, probably 33s, fix the body and paint it up, fix the interior, and then continue to work on the engine and shore things up as it goes. I appreciate any and all advice, as I said I turned a lot of wrenches with my dad but I was much more interested in sports and girls lol. PS it has the 2.9 without the title I'm guessing it has 203k miles on it, seems much more likely than 103.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the Forum.
Sorry for your loss.

Nice looking B2.

2.9l was a good engine, if not overheated, so if hose breaks or coolant gets low, PULL OVER, you will crack a head if you try to "make it home".

2.9l engine info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.shtml

It uses a TFI spark system, these can give you trouble when they get older, no start or stumbling and no start after engine(TFI module) is warmed up.

TFI info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Tire fitment here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TireFitment.shtml

LMC Truck is a good website to find Ranger and B2 non-drivetrain parts, i.e. body, interior stuff

170Parker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thank you so much for the info, I truly appreciate that. So far it bogs when trying to hold the throttle steady, the blinker fuse, keeps blowing and the hatch won't latch. Not too bad for circumstances, gonna try to replace that fuel filter, figure out what's blowing the fuse and see if I can find replacement collars for the rear hatch pins, I assume they had plastic ones at one point. The hatch stays closed but it causes the dome light to come on.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check if it has trailer wiring connection, they can get corroded and blow fuses.
Also could just be the flasher unit.

170Parker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
As I said I'm far from mechanical, but there's definitely a nest of towing wires dangling off the rear. I replaced all the strikers today and unfortunately the rear hatch still has enough play to set the dome light off any time I accelerate.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Make sure the latches are closing all the way, sometimes they get gunked up and could use a cleaning. If that doesn't help get a larger size plastic piece or there's always duct tape or electrical tape to wrap around it. Wiring is always a pain if you're not the one who did it, patience is required and a multi-meter and test light. Good luck, welcome to the forum and also sorry for your loss.

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The body mounted pegs for the rear hatch latch are adjustable as you may have noticed. They will slide forwards or backwards for adjustment. I used 1/2" CPVC plumbing pipe to replace the broken off original plastic that fits over the pegs. I had to cut them lengthwise also so they would fit over the pegs. the pipe is almost too thick, but it has worked well so far.

170Parker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help again guys. After I replaced the striker bushings on the rear hatch it still had some play. When I drove around the light didnt come on but it didn't take much of a pull on the tire to set it off. I removed the pegs, took off the taillight and checked the bracket, i didn't see any way for it to adjust but I can always take another look. I'm pretty excited for this project, been driving around in it, fun ride for sure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"If you can't raise the bridge then lower the river"

Which means look at something from a different point of view.

If it is a push button type door switch for the rear hatch then add something to the hatch side that pushes in the button more, not enough to damage it but enough to push it down a bit more.

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
On my tailgate on an '88 BII, just loosening the pegs allows you to move the pegs to make an adjustment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals