• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 3.0l Fan Clutch

icephreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So my fan clutch went bad so I went out and replaced it, bought one and it was considerably larger than the one I pulled out, but it fit anyways. This thing is loud, I'm talking wind noise and horsepower loss like crazy, anyways I figured it was bad so took it out and went and got another from a different auto parts store. They were both Muarry, and this new one is just as loud, anyone know what's going on? It never quiets down, drove for 50 miles and just as loud as start up, I can't hear the motor over it, just extreme loud air noise. Don't understand why I can't find one the same size as what came out of my truck also.
Appreciate any help thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
A couple of months ago when I bought my 99, the fan clutch was so loud that I thought it was partially locked up. Replaced the fan clutch only to experience the same thing with the brand new one. After some searching, every fan clutch on the market for our 3.0's seemed to be labeled as severe duty and is obnoxiously loud. There's the stock motorcraft unit, but it's twice the price. I'm living with it for the time being, but it's definitely annoying. Considering going down the oem Ford Contour electric fan route honestly.

icephreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll probably purchase the fomoco then one, Thanks

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Yeah same here mine always sounded like a vacuum cleaner or a plane taking off. You can go electric fan use a pt cruiser fan. Dorman part number 620052. Just cut some ears off fits great inside the tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fan clutch should go to "neutral" within a few seconds of cold start, 10 second max.
So loud when first COLD started then you shouldn't hear it at all after a few seconds.

Fluid in the fan clutch will be thick cold but will release the clutch within a few seconds as it warms, so there is a mis-adjustment in there somewhere for the temp.
Good read here on how fan clutch works, with pics: https://offroad80s.com/how-to-top-up-your-fan-clutch-and-do-the-blue-fan-clutch-mod-t1160.html

The fact several "new ones" have the same problem, means for whatever reason the wrong settings are being used inside these units

The whole point of the fan clutch is to reduce cooling to allow engine to heat up faster, for lower emissions, and then to provide enough air flow for cooling when/as it is needed.

Reads like you are back to direct drive fans, lol
Almost better to hit a wrecking yard to get stock fan clutches
1994 to 2008(last year of 3.0l) Ranger or Mazda B3000 used the same fan clutch

Two things are common failure points on fan clutches, the spring on the front moves a pin inside the clutch unit, the pin rusts and won't move so clutch gets locked, could be locked fully engaged or disengaged or anywhere in between, lol.
Lose of fluid, you can usually see this as a spray marks in engine bay and hood, its a silicone fluid

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
These are marketed as severe duty clutches. I don't know why that's basically the only thing in the market for the 3.0, but it is the reality. They do clutch in and out, but not nearly as easily as I typically expect from a fan clutch.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have a 3.0l so can't measure the pitch on the fan blades

Severe duty fan clutch requires over a 2.5" pitch fan blade to disengaged the clutch when cold, it needs the resistance of a steep pitch to disengage

So it reads like 3.0l has less that 2.5" pitch so can't disengage the severe duty clutch

Looks like Hayden makes standard duty fan clutch for 3.0l Ranger
HAYDEN 2618

On ebay for $30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Cooling-Fan-Clutch-HAYDEN-2618-/332330076347?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I don't know what the 2618 fits, but it doesn't look like the 3.0 clutch. Take a look at the 2779 for comparison.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's the server duty model, so won't release unless fan has 2.5" pitch or higher
So will make lots of noise

Fords motorcraft part number is YB3046 for 1998 and up, it "looks like" servere duty but I am betting it is not, it would be standard duty

Not sure why there is a difference between 1991-1997 and 1998-2008, unless Ford changed design in some way.
Hayden 2618 fits 3.0l Vulcan engine 1997 and older, but I bet it fits any year 3.0l Ranger

I just know the noise is either a bad fan clutch, locked full on, or its the wrong fan clutch for the blades, can't be released

icephreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for all the info everybody, some great knowledge here from all of you. I actually went to advanced auto bought a clutch same muarry part as the other 2, this one is loud for about 15 20 seconds then it gets quiet. WOW, it's a servere duty also, 2 defective parts from 2 different stores, what are the odds, fkin China.
Thanks everyone

red2003xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
High pitched whistle

My Ranger has the same high pitched whistle. Anything over 3000 rpms and it's beyond annoying. The shop is used is a trusted friend. He's getting the parts directly from Ford.

He told me to drive it for a couple of days and see if the whistle quiets down. So far no dice. If I have to punch it on the interstate and the revs get up to 5000 rpms the noise in the cab is vacuum cleaner tied to a rocket engine.

Any help.

ForTheLoveOfMonkeys

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You are what you do when it counts
For me I wound up accidentally putting in a "Severe Duty" version and it sounded like a 747 taking off every time I gave it a little gas. If you put a new one in I'd be sure to check to make sure it was the right one, RockAuto ONLY had the SD ones and they were not exactly prominently marked as such so I was out of luck until I bought the correct one off of Amazon of all places.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals