• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

injector install ?

danny12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Morning Folks,

Got a question Installing injectors in a 2.9 . Is it better to put the injectors in the fuel rail first and drop them in or the manifold then put the rail on.

Thanks Danny

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would drop them in the rail, carefully line them up to the lower intake, and then work the whole thing back and forth until it drops it. Some times I will tap the rail with a rubber mallet.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently did them on my ’92 4.0 (first time replacing injectors on any vehicle, somehow). Should be the same concept. My Haynes manual recommends inserting them into the fuel rail first, then slowly seating them down into the top of the engine. I didn’t know this (because, you know, I’m one of those guys that doesn’t read directions).

So I did things bass ackwards, because the top of the engine was disgusting and even after I had blown/cleaned it off, there was still a ton of grit and oil around the base of each injector. I was worried that some crap would fall down in there while I was trying to line all six injectors up and end up scoring a cylinder or something, so they went in the fuel rail first.

This would have been fine, but the o-rings on my new injectors were really loose and one of the front injectors couldn’t be seen during installation, due to the fuel pressure regulator being in the way. Things held up well for about 3 days, then it started dumping gas, because the o-ring on that same injector had been torn. I put all of the old o-rings (which fit much more snuggly) on the new injectors, dropped the fuel rail back down onto them (paying more attention to that injector up front this time), and voila! All good.

So I’d say that you could do it either way, but the manual calls for putting them into the fuel rail first, probably because it’s easier to line up the bases than the tops.

Good luck.

danny12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Great!

Thanks for the help Guys, I really appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals