• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 bronco 2 tune up questions

TXHillCountryBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recently became the owner of a 1988 ford bronco 2 4x4 automatic My father had it sitting for a few years while a huge tree branch fall and crush the cab of it, he trimmed it off and it continued to sit there so he gave it to me so I could he it at the ranch. I wanted to know what needs to be done to this truck to keep it running. It won't be used as a dd just something to go off road in and some mud. I put a new battery in and it turned on but the turn signals don't seem to be working. Thanks for your time I appreciate it, sorry in advance I'm very new to this and never have been on a forum before. I'll try and post pictures soon when I figure out how

TXHillCountryBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I fixed the turn signals the breaks still don't come on. The previous owner installed manual locking hubs and it looks like he did a 2 inch suspension lift also.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good page to bookmark here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Bronco II's and Rangers of the same years are very similar.

This diagram is from the above link: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_turn_stop_hazard.JPG

Do the 4-way flashers work?
If not then the fuse that powers brake lights and 4-ways may be blown.

Or it could be Brake Switch is disconnected or bad.
It is on under side of dash in front of brake pedal arm, when you press on the brake pedal the arm goes forward and the plunger on the switch is released, this connects the 12volt power to the wiring going to Turn Signal stalk switch(multi-function switch).

The brake light bulb is the same bulb use for turn signal in the rear.
This is why the brake light power goes thru the multi-function switch.
If brake lights are on and you turn on the turn signal the brake light power is cut on that side and bulb gets power from flasher, so flashes on and off.

This also means there is only 1 wire for each rear turn/brake bulb going from cab(multi-function switch) to back of the truck.
So if turn signals are working in the rear then those 2 wires are OK.
And the bulbs would also have to have good Ground wires for turn signals to work.
Problem will be fuse, brake/stop switch, multi-function switch, or wiring between those

Last edited:

TXHillCountryBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the link!! I replace the multi function switch , break/stop switch, and fuse still no luck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think '88 B2 had 3rd brake light in rear window, but if it does then that uses a separate wire from the brake switch, that does not pass thru the multi-function switch, it would go directly to the 3rd brake light bulb

There should be 12volts(battery voltage) at the brake light switch all the time(24/7), on 1 wire, in above diagram the Light Green/Red hash mark wire

I would test for that, if no voltage then wire to fuse is bad.

The other wire on the brake switch, Light Green, should pass 12volts to the multi-function switch and then to brake light bulbs.
Use a jumper wire from fuse box 12volts to that wire to see if brake lights come on
If they don't then that wire to the multi-function switch is bad.
Because if rear turn signals work the wires from multi-function switch to bulbs are OK

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals