• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions on Front Suspension Rebuild

OkieGentleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Fix it like it has to last a 100 Years.
I hope this is in the correct section.

The vehicle is a 1998 XLT Ranger SuperCab rear wheel drive with front coil springs.

I am replacing the front suspension rubber, ball joints, steering and brakes on my new (to me) Ranger. I got the drivers side done and started the passenger (right) side. I did a direct replacement of the upper arm on both the left and the right side and started to do the right lower arm.

The rear bushing on the right lower arm uses two medallion type inserts on the end of the interior tube to spread the pressure on the frame when the bolt is torqued to the correct amount. The back hole is elongated for adjustments of the wheel position and it looks like the replacement bushing center tube would not properly engage the frame connectors due to the mismatch of tube end size and elongated frame hole size.

The center tube through the existing bushing is slightly larger (about ,03) than the center tube in a K8705 bushing. The bushings that seem to be available with the medallion type are not the correct size (length nor diameter) and seem to be made for the upper arms. The ID of the medallion hole is the same as a new center tube in a bushing from a K8705 kit. The correct OD diameter bushing from the K8705 tried for fit in the rear section, is too short without a set of medallions, but the interior tube is to small to allow the installation of the necessary medallions.

A replacement arm with bushings and ball joint installed, did not have the medallions on the rear bushing and did not appear that it would install properly/safely, so I left it at the parts store.

Does anyone know what are the part numbers for the correct bushings with medallions to install into this piece of brilliantly engineered piece of (censored). I'm old and don't have time for this nonsense.

This is starting to take the shine off of my new toy!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals