• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hot in here

Kevin Bullard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I own a 1986 ranger standard bed good condion I hope I have the right place.
when I drive my ranger any distance it gets hot in the cab. upon looking at everything it is not coming from the heater. the truck is not over heating. I pulled the rubber florr mat back and the metal floor was so hot I could not keep my hand on it. anyone help me?:yahoo:

Syko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
maybe its ur catalytic converters getting hot.. take ur truck for a drive at night then take a look at them, they might be glowing red... could be from running rich maybe?? not 100% sure tho..

Syko

Kevin Bullard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

Thank you I will try that it is a efi 2.9 and runs great could the timing be off

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Timing is computer controlled. About the only thing you can do is pull the spout connector, and check base line timing.

Given the fact it's running great? And the floorboards are getting toasty? About the only cause would be the converters starting to overheat. TAKE IT SERIOUS! As a former firefighter? It's very possible for the extreme heat to start burning up the carpet and the insulator under the carpet.

Heck, Any good muffler shop should be able to check the converters with a laser temp gauge. (ya don't have to have them replace the converters---as you'll pay out the nose for list price on the cost...but most national shops offer 'free checks')

S-

dangerous_rangerous

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would say they are clogged. Cut them off.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i made that mistake of cutting off my cat and ive had nothing but troble. i agree with teddy about getting it checked. we dont need a ranger catching on fire.

dangerous_rangerous

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i made that mistake of cutting off my cat and ive had nothing but troble. i agree with teddy about getting it checked. we dont need a ranger catching on fire.
Really? I cut them off my 95 and it runs great. The only thing that changed was my engine light but I just poped my bulb out. I left my sensors in the pipe as well. They have been off for about 3 years now.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the unburnt fuel has permanantly stained the bumper, and i cant weld it up and i cant bring it to a mufler shop because they wont touch it.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Just get some cheapees from Summit Racing.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Only remove your cats or other emissions if your area doesn't have a safety lane. In my county anything newer than an 85 model that's missing them you have to have an exemption and 95 and newer OBD II no exemptions. No cats, no tag. Do the research first!

motofloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same type of problem in an old mazda b2200. The pre-cat off the exhaust manifold and the cat under the car were totally clogged up.. I unbolted both of them and took a 18" long 1/2" drill bit and drilled about 5 holes right through the clogged up ceramic part of the cat. It brought the truck back from the dead. If you have the money do it the right way and replace it, if not, then visual inspections will show the cat still there. You still may not pass an emissions test, but if your low on funds it's worth a try.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here in florida, We do not have emmisions testing. I love this state...sometimes...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals