• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

idling high...

theGreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1971
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6, 302 V8
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1999 ranger xlt 4x4 with the 4.0l and a 5 speed manual. I have noticed that when i pull up to intersections and stops, that my truck idles really high, like around 1500rpm. It does this whether the clutch is pushed in, in gear, or out of gear. Doesnt matter. When i come to a stop though, if i blip the throttle, it settles back down to 800ish, or regular idle speed.

I just want to know if this is normal, or if it is a bad thing. If bad, what can i do to fix it?

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the tps is going out or dirty. It also might have a dirty MAF sensor too.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe pull the codes and see if it is sensor related it could also be a sticky IAC. Get a new gasket for the throttle body and pull the IAC and clean it good with carb cleaner. Does it have a PCV and when was it changed last. Is the throttle butterfly sticking wiggle the throttle shaft there should be no slop and a nice smooth motion from WOT to fully closed.

wallisonline

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What would make my 3 wheeler idle high?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also check for a vacuum leak. It'll throw a code for that eventually, but a common problem with the PCV lines especially.

jdmzach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
mine was doing the same and idling high with the clutch in or in nuetral when i stopped, but also had a pretty bad miss as well, turned out the brake booster was leaking and pulling air and messing with the vacuum. That may be your problemi as well, might wanna pull the hose off your brake booster and plug it and start your truck, if it fixes your problem then you have a leak in the booster.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals