• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Scanner / CB set up

02SuperXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any suggestions on brands of Mobile Police/Fire Scanner to mount in my Ranger? I plan on having a CB mounted as well. I don't want to break my bank, so I will be scouring Ebay.
Thanks, Jeff

Last edited:

willindsay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is your local agencies using a Trunked system or just a standard one channel syestem?

I've had good luck with the Radioshack handheld units. Right now I've got a RS PRO-94 dual trunking scanner sitting beside me.

02SuperXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe they are using a trunked system. I want to mount on that is a similar size to a Cobra 29 CB. Another Question, Will I need a separate antenna for scanner?

Last edited:

willindsay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Look up your county on Here It'll give you most of the frequencies and tell you what system their using.

As for an antenna you're gonna want a separate one. The frequencies for a CB are around 26-27mhz while the police and fire are usually in the 460mhz and 150mhz range. A CB antenna will work but then you're gonna have to get a coax splitter and 2 short lengths of coax and you'd probably get interference any time you keyed the CB mic. So it'll be easier and probably around the same cost to just run a second antenna.

02SuperXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
next question

thanks for that link. I thought I had all of the local frequencies, but there are a few that I missed.
My next question is when I run two separate antennas for cb and scanner, do they also have to be kept a distance apart? I would like to run them with one on each side of the truck...

Thanks for all of your help!
Jeff

willindsay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm no expert but I think they'll be fine placed on opposite sides of the truck. Worst I can see happening is you get a little static in the scanner when you key the CB but I doubt you'll even get that. I'd just make sure not to run the coax beside each other and all should be good.

Also check back on that site from time to time it's always being updated. I check my area about once a month and always seem to find new frequencies.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Any suggestions on brands of Mobile Police/Fire Scanner to mount in my Ranger? I plan on having a CB mounted as well. I don't want to break my bank, so I will be scouring Ebay.
Thanks, Jeff
A word of caution check the laws in your state about having a scanner mounted in a car, as a lot of state its illegal to have a scanner in a automobile.
there is a exceptions if you work in public safety,and Amateur radio licensee holders are except.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals