• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idle Problems 98 Ranger

notselrach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The pattern is that the engine will go to a high idle when warm, 3200, and then will, after several seconds or so slow to about 1200, but never return to 800 or 900 as it is supposed. If this was an older Ford I would say that the "dashpot" needs to be replaced, but I don't know how the idle control is handled with this motor. Is it a vacuum leak? I replaced the auto hubs with manual because the originals were not working. Is there a possibility a vacuum leak there? Otherwise where might I look to find the culprit? The engine has only 115 thousand on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, BC

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the PVH could be your vacuum leak. That solenoid looks like it is near the passenger headlamp area.

Another common vacuum leak spot is the PCV elbow at the rear of the head/valve cover.

It is very easy to clean the IAC. It controls idle airflow.

Lack Thereof

Reaction score
Idle air control valve is most the most likely culprit - it's a small electric air valve that allows air to bypass the throttle body, usually bolted to the side of the throttle body. The computer controls it to adjust/stabilize the idle speed. Sounds like it's sticking open a bit. Almost all Ford engines develop IAC valve issues as they age - clean or replace the valve to rule it out as the problem before going on a labor intensive vacuum leak hunt.

Alternately, if your coolant temperature sensor is bad, the computer will never come out of warm-up mode, and will continue to command a fast idle. If this is the case you should also be seeing always-cold temperatures on the dashboard temp gauge. A defective thermostat overcooling the engine would have the same symptom.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals