• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 SOHC woes... 2002 Explorer and a Ranger

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So the big issue at the moment is the fact that moms 2002 Explorer rode the flatbed home yesterday. It's had a random no start problem that I've been ignoring because I didn't want to try looking for a random problem. Trouble is, it's still a random problem. Sometimes it just flat out refuses to start. Cranks over fine but that's it. Neighbor came by this morning with his fuel pressure tester, said first try it put out 17 psi. Made several attempts so far to replicate that reading to no avail, it puts out 65 psi and starts. Holds pressure at idle and under throttle. Leaks down when it's shut off, probably 5-10 psi in 15 minutes or so.

Put my laptop on it and pulled codes and such. Not sure what to make of them. The only one that seems like it could apply is for the neutral safety switch. Checked that with diagnostics and it said ok, so I don't know.

C1284
C1230
B1483
P1816
P1836
P1837

Not sure what to try next for the problem...

Also been dealing with a Ranger that has the SOHC. Haven't had my laptop on it yet. Starts fine and idles good. When you give it throttle and try to hold an RPM, it sort of hunts, RPM up and down quickly. Was told it has a dead cylinder, but I checked 4 of 6 cylinders and they were all beautiful, plugs were nice colors and the pressure test shot up to a consistent 140 or so with just a bump of the starter. Not sure what to make of it.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The Explorer sounds like a fuel pump.

The Ranger I want to make sure I understand, if you hold the gas at a steady position off-idle the engine is not holding a steady RPM?

It's not a likely culprit for that, but check the PCV hose coming off the passenger side of the throttle body. They tend to rub through and cause an air leak. It causes all sorts of odd-ball problems.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The Explorer sounds like a fuel pump.

The Ranger I want to make sure I understand, if you hold the gas at a steady position off-idle the engine is not holding a steady RPM?

It's not a likely culprit for that, but check the PCV hose coming off the passenger side of the throttle body. They tend to rub through and cause an air leak. It causes all sorts of odd-ball problems.

That's my suspicion on the Explorer. Trying to do the filter first.

You are correct on the Ranger, not holding a steady RPM off idle. PCV line there was replaced, its brand new, that was my first suspect.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Try taking it off idle by sticking something between the cresent on the throttle and the stop screw. A nickle works well. Then unplug the IAC. It's unlikely since you say it idles well, but it's worth a check.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Haven't messed with the Ranger anymore yet.

Tried to do the fuel filter on the Explorer and broke one of the fittings on the one line to the tank. Tried to drop the tank and only got it partly dropped because the transmission cross member needs to drop to let the front of the tank with a glued in vent hose fitting past. Only problem is that the cross member was welded in place by a lazy mechanic years ago who broke the bolts for it. So the driveshaft got dropped to get enough room to get at the pump which didn't want to come out of the tank. Apparently Hercules torqued the plastic ring down. Finally got it out with a modified chain wrench. Sock was all silted up and there was rust around the pump, so I guess I'm ordering a new one.

Figured since I had the tank down, I might as well do the pump instead of trust that the filter was the problem.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, Rockauto and Carter screwed me on the pump. Paid for the next day shipping, got it today and found that it didn't have the gaskets or strainers it supposedly came with. Contacted Rockauto and their solution was to tell us to ship it back through the carrier it came from (Pittsburgh is the closest, over 30 miles), when they receive it they'll send another (with no promise that will have the right pieces either). I can't wait a week or more to put this back together, explained that was unacceptable, but was told it was "all they could do."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals