• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

broken ignition lock removal (attempted theft)

swafford501

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What's up everyone new to the forums and rangers..

I have an 87 ranger xlt 2.9 I park it in my driveway and last night it was broken into by a great person that tried to stick a screw driver in the ignition and now my key won't turn at all from what ice seen the key needs to be turned to on to remove the cylinder

Like I said I'm new to rangers so any help would be appreciated

swafford501

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Gotta make it to work Monday please any info would help these scumbags beat the hell out of it

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I think the standard method is to drill it out... VERY carefully I might add. Don't wanna cut something you need later!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
For old ford ignition switches I usually just hammer a big Craftsman screw driver into the lock (craftsman screwdrivers have square shafts, not round like most). Then take a large adjustable and turn the screwdriver. It almost always works.

swafford501

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I drilled it out and it still won't come out it moves back and forth just won't come out I also tried using the screw driver and wrench but I only had a smaller craftsmen and it almost broke trying to get it to spin

The key will still go in just won't turn at all any idea how to get it turned so I can get the cylinder out?

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For old ford ignition switches I usually just hammer a big Craftsman screw driver into the lock (craftsman screwdrivers have square shafts, not round like most). Then take a large adjustable and turn the screwdriver. It almost always works.

Funny how the blade screwdrivers have square shafts and the Philips don't. But some of my very old Chraftsman both have square shafts.

If the key will still go in your not using a big enough screw driver. !!!! Really drive it in there and then twist it with a wrench over the shaft.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7utnW5ZWbRc/TVbF_noIMxI/AAAAAAAACDs/uuL1D3tEzJo/s1600/CraftsmanScrewdriver.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals