• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger Airbag Code "35"

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
Truck was already wrecked when I bought it with airbags deployed. I replaced the airbags on the 99 Ranger with a pair from a 96 Explorer. I did not replace the crash sensors. The RCM was showing a "19" code which means the memory is full (due to the airbags deploying).

I had a friend with a Snap On Modis scanner clear the codes yesterday, but I still had a "35" which will not clear. According to what I've read online, this code is a low resistance in the passenger airbag. I just did a check on www.car-part.com and found that the passenger airbags only show interchangeability between 99-03.

Do any of the Ford service techs on here know if the internal resistance changed in the passenger airbags between 96 Explorers and 99 Rangers? I'm guessing that's the problem I'm dealing with at this point...

Your help is greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You aren't supposed to resistance test an airbag because that can deploy it, so I don't know what the resistance is supposed to be. The test for that code basically boils down to unplug the suspect airbag and see if you get that code or a different one. If you get a different one, presumably resistance high, you replace the airbag.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I knew better than to put a meter on it. Have a BAS in Electronic Engineering, so I know a bit about meters :)

I was hoping that one of you guys might know from personal experience if Ford did their usual BS and changed resistance for no apparent reason so parts only interchange for 3 years or so.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I was saying that more to say that Ford doesn't issue a resistance spec, since testing the resistance is dangerous, and so it's unlikely anyone is going to know the actual intended resistance of the deployment unit.

Since your buddy has access to a Modis just unplug it and see it the resistance high code sets, if it does you know you don't have a short and need a different air bag.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I didn't know if that was something techs had info on. I never saw the Explorer running that the airbags came out of so it could have had a code prior to removal, but I'm sure as you know, circuits don't usually decrease resistance unless there's a smoke show and then they drastically increase resistance.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In general that is true, but the airbag circuits are a bit different. The module has the ability to safely monitor the circuit resistance, but it also supplies both the power and ground, and only if it sees a crash event. This means those wires can actually be shorted together without the smoke show.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals