• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

finishing someone else 5.0 swap

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i know something about almost everything but not everything about anything.
well heres the run down.. roommate and I bought a 89 ranger ext cab short bed 4x4 with a half done 5.0 swap... the p.o bought all name brand parts for this thing.. james duff suspension, advance adapters tcase piece, motor mounts, headers, etc.. its got a 95 couger v8 with 92 mustang h.o. guts and drive assembly.. we've already done the parts list for what we got with the truck and whats left.. 2 things came up..
#1: the dipstick is mia.. its a block style press fit hole but with it in a ranger were not sure which pan it is or which dipstick to use...
#2: wiring... both of us can solder just fine but theres a lot of wires to sort out. there was a guy doing wiring conversions for a fee.. we think we'd like to go that route if some one could point us in that direction..

thanks again fellas.. this site was a huge help in the 4.0 swap on my wifes 86 reg. cab long bed..

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm surprised I haven't seen you around. I'm in Sweet Home just about every day.

Is this an EFI setup?

Btw...I have the same colored 78/79 Bronco that I've been fixing

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dual sump foxbody pan and the dipstick/tube to go with it.

May already have it since the t-bird/couger is related to the fox, not sure on that. Summit has the dipstick and tube made by Ford Racing for a fox, it is chrome but works well.

Lots of reading here for you:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well heres the run down.. roommate and I bought a 89 ranger ext cab short bed 4x4 with a half done 5.0 swap... the p.o bought all name brand parts for this thing.. james duff suspension, advance adapters tcase piece, motor mounts, headers, etc.. its got a 95 couger v8 with 92 mustang h.o. guts and drive assembly.. we've already done the parts list for what we got with the truck and whats left.. 2 things came up..
#1: the dipstick is mia.. its a block style press fit hole but with it in a ranger were not sure which pan it is or which dipstick to use...
#2: wiring... both of us can solder just fine but theres a lot of wires to sort out. there was a guy doing wiring conversions for a fee.. we think we'd like to go that route if some one could point us in that direction..

thanks again fellas.. this site was a huge help in the 4.0 swap on my wifes 86 reg. cab long bed..
i am assuming 85 bird.

are you using factory 92 efi?

no way in hell i would trust that turd engine till i knew exactly what parts it consisted of....heads, cam, and pistons along with intake. dis-assembly and measuring p/n identification is in order.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good point, if they just slapped on surfaced E7's you could have a nasty surprise at startup. Or if the block has been decked. :scare:

You see a non HO doesn't have valve reliefs in the pistons, you can usually get by putting E7's on flattops if nobody has cut either the block or the head (still need to check valve clearances) but but if someone has had machine work done (gotta cut the head to get more compression right?) you can run into major problems.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
H.O. guts?

Not that it matters yet but just a heads up
5.0l HO firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
5.0l non-HO firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

So same matched piston pairs but different cam

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ok some crarity..

it is a 95 bird engine.. yes we kept the EFI.. heads are from same motor.. the h.o stang front drive assembly and cam where all that the stang sacrificed.. it had a bad rod bearing anyhow.. I know the guy that built the motor... so I got stuck with a t-bird turd engine (including intake) and not much else.. that's like 225hp.. minus smog add headers that's maybe 240.. ok guess ittl do.. not wanting to pull motor so james duff pan stays.. turns out most late 80s ealy 90s ford cars had same dipstick.. fox seems to be the exception.. thanks for link and info... trying to get this thing moving forward,, been in my shop for 2 months..

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
still here

I appreciate the link info for the build.. but ive been through it several times along with the 4.0 conversion tec sheet.. ive used both on a couple build salready and am well versed in most things ford.. I swapped the wifes ranger from 2.9/5spd/e-case dana 28 to 4.0/od auto/ manual tcase dana35.. using that article.. I also swapped a friends bronco 2 from 2.8/auto/m-tcase to 302/c4-m-tcase. it already had the dana 35/8.8s swapped in.. those I started and finished.. I didn't have to sort out someone elses mess.. we went carbed on the bronco 2 so efi wiring wasn't an issue.. now it is and im not the best guy for wiring this complex.. seems like previous owner was good at ordering parts but no real combination for thought.. speaking of which I gotta go see which trans he shoved in it.. later thanks again..

p.s. there are gonna be a lot of left overs from this project if you guys are interested.. willing to trade parts for parts or help..

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i never seen a 302 in a 95 t bird. was it a race car?

a canadian thing....did the canuck cars get 302's in 95?

unless it was swapped in, the only thing i seen in 95 birds was mod motors....i guess i could be wrong.

is so, then there are differences between the stang and bird tuning. sn95/fox/mn12

you need to know what you have so you know how to wire it and what it needs for a tune.

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ok I hate miss information as much as the next guy..
Stopped talking to the ("engine builder"???) llolo..
And contacted the p.o. of the truck.. donor was a 86 cougar.. you guys.. right as always.. he left the heads and intake from the cougar on it.. which I have confirmed by date stamps.. the mustang cam, distributer and injectors are all it recieved.. you not much right.. and that makes it a speed density motor right??? Should we convert it.. going to be using the cougar harness to wire it.. is that even a posability??? Any other help would be gteat.. we have Haynes and Chilton books for both rigs..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals