• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

headlight adjustment.

myold96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
how do i adjust the headlights on my 96 ranger without special equipment and what size socket or wrench do i use?:icon_pepsi:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can get a Ford tool at most auto parts stores for about $8, makes it easier.

But a 4mm or 1/4" socket should work, might be 5/16th?

You need a tape measure and some masking tape.

Measure from the ground up to the center of the light, write it down :)
Measure from the center of the Ford emblem(center of vehicle) to the center of the light, write it down :)

Hopefully both lights are the same height and distance from center of vehicle, if not, then adjusting the headlights is the least of your concerns, lol.

You need a level drive way or parking lot with a wall at least as high as the head lights.
You need to park vehicle so head lights are 25ft from this wall.

Put a horizontal piece of tape on the wall 2" LOWER than the height of the headlights, use the bottom line on the tape as the marker.

Put a piece of tape vertically on the wall where you think the center of the vehicle is.
Go behind the vehicle and look if you guessed right :), if not move it.
You can also measure from each head light to the center marker, if they are equal then it is the center.

Now measure out from center tape marker and put another vertical tape line at each headlight location, from when you measured it above and wrote it down :).

The wall should look something like this now:

---[-----l-----]---

Turn on the head lights, of course dusk or night will make this easier

Beams should be dead center on the vertical markers on each side
And the top of the beam should be at the bottom of horizontal tape line.
I often lower the drivers side beam slightly so I don't blind other drivers if I have a heavy load, but up to you.

These are single lens setups so high beam should be fine once low beams are setup.

If you installed a 6" lift on the truck you may want to drop down the beams another 3" or 4" :) , but up that high you often can't hear the cursing of oncoming drivers when they pass by, if you can then.............get a subwoofer

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals