• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

more issues... again

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well after having all these issues with the truck stalling I finally thought I had it all fixed after replacing the fuel filter and the filler neck. My check engine light was gone and truck went a few days driving good. So today I filled up the gas tank and went to work. on my way to leave work my truck wouldn't start. Can't hear the fuel pump kick on at all. So now I either have a bad fuel pump or relay. Anyone know if there's troubleshooting I can do to test these parts other than replacing them? I've already put a lot of time and money in this that I don't have and I'm tired with the issues. This is why I normally never fill up because shit like this happens.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Change the relay first. Its cheap and easy,

JamesH

Reaction score
Bypass it first, use a jumper, bypass the relayand listen for the pump. But I would dig after the inertia switch too, just to be sure. It'll be under the carpet below the glove box area

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Well at least you thought to listen for it this time. Hit the tank with a rubber hammer when the pump isn't turning on. The shock will sometimes jar it into working. My uncle's 4.2 f150 was stalling randomly. The fuel pump would kick on sometimes and sometimes it would not. Put a new one in and fixed it.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah the plan is to bypass the relay and see if that is the issue. then start smacking stuff with a hammer. I've always tried listening for the pump in the past but sometimes it is hard with traffic driving by and stuff. Plus most of the time when I have issues I am by myself. so unless I grew 10 foot arms it makes it hard to listen for the pump while turning the key. If the pump is the issue is it easier to remove the bed or drop the tank? mind you I literally just filled the tank that morning so it is plum full of gas. Plus I know the straps are rusty and such. i'm thinking the bed would be easier.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Way easier to just pull the bed to do it.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Way easier to just pull the bed to do it.
That's what I was thinking. Anyone know if I can just remove the bolts on the driver side and raise the bed high enough to replace the pump?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Take them all out. It will only take another couple of minutes to do so. It will make life a lot easier. Get some help and slide the front of the bed on top of the back tires and rest the back of the bed on the bumper.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I was just messing with it and got it started with starting fluid. after a few seconds of running of starting fluid it died, when I turned the key I could hear the fuel pump kick on so I put the air intake tube back on and it started right up. I have been letting it run for 15 minutes now. I drove it a little around work but nothing over 10 mph (parking lot). So would this seem more like a wiring issue than a bad pump? I know everything under the body is rusty and heavily corroded from the previous owners lack of washing it underneath. I still plan on removing the bed anyway to check the wiring on the fuel pump. also I ran a jumper wire on the relay and that made no difference when it wasn't starting so its not the relay.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
So I was just messing with it and got it started with starting fluid. after a few seconds of running of starting fluid it died, when I turned the key I could hear the fuel pump kick on so I put the air intake tube back on and it started right up. I have been letting it run for 15 minutes now. I drove it a little around work but nothing over 10 mph (parking lot). So would this seem more like a wiring issue than a bad pump? I know everything under the body is rusty and heavily corroded from the previous owners lack of washing it underneath. I still plan on removing the bed anyway to check the wiring on the fuel pump. also I ran a jumper wire on the relay and that made no difference when it wasn't starting so its not the relay.

you do realize that after the power gets to the fuel pump it still needs a good ground to complete the circuit?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The fuel pump can fail intermittently sometimes it will run sometimes it won't I just experienced the same issue and replace the pump and it works fine now

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The fuel pump can fail intermittently sometimes it will run sometimes it won't I just experienced the same issue and replace the pump and it works fine now[/Q

How did you replace the pump? did you remove the bed or drop the tank? I really don't want to buy a pump and do all the work if I don't have to. I've put so many new parts and money at this truck lately its just getting on my nerves. Normally with my luck as soon as I would do all the work and get it fixed then I'd get hit by a car or something stupid. Plus I need tires and an alignment so there's more money going to it. I think if I do go and replace the pump I will just remove the bed. That way I can clean the frame and get it painted properly to help fight the rust.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
As stated previously. Removing the bed is the easiest.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals