• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel filter wont come off

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So me and a friend fought like help trying to get the fuel filter off my 99 with not luck. We both ha the cheap plastic quick connect tools with would fit in place but not release it. Anyone ran into this issue and found a tool that works? I bought a better tool from harbor freight that is metal and "should" do the job. Just wanted to know if there was anything that could be done to help this other than spraying it with PB Blast.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Give it a double check that it actually requires the disconnect tool. There are 2 styles and they look similar but one just requires pushing down on a little button while pushing in and it will pop off. They both fit the same filter style and just snap in place but if you try using a disconnect tool on the push button style you wont get anywhere.

If it is the type that needs the tool Ive always had better luck with the aluminum "scissor" style tools. They go in deeper and give you more leverage over the little circle ones.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also try rotating the filter in the line. If crap builds up in there the tool won't go in far enough to do anything. Getting the filter moving can help break that dirt pack up.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The harbor freight aluminum tools are what I have used many times... some filters are just hard to remove. I remember fighting one on an Explorer for over an hour with the right tools. Sometimes a 90* pick can help, or a small flat screwdriver bent at an angle.

FWIW if you damage the cage clip thing, you can get a new one from the parts store.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I just bought the scissor type yesterday and didn't get a chance to mess with it (busy with kids) and I tried using the 90 degree picks and rotating the filter. It looked like the plastic tool just wasn't catching where I needed it to. I saw the metal scissor type and figured I could open it to make it bigger while trying to pull on it. Seems like a job for a three handed sum bitch to get it off easy. Guess my two hands will have to get creative lol. Here is a pic of what is not coming off. This is at the rear end of the filter. The front end came right off without tools.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It just means the filter doesn't need changed. If it needed changed, it would let you take it off.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It just means the filter doesn't need changed. If it needed changed, it would let you take it off.
I hope that's sarcasm. lol. Should say that more often when people want an oil change. "Did you car tell you it was ready for one?"

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Grab the line and the filter itself and push them together at the same time Insert the tool while everything is compressed move it up a down a few times and spin the filter. Next grab the tool and line with the fingers on your left hand and pull back while spinning the filter with your right hand. Pushing the line and the filter together on the first step takes any excess tension off of the tabs of the clip inside the the round housing. I have been able to take every one off I have come across doing it this way. Wow this sounds complicated when I type it out.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So me and a friend fought like help trying to get the fuel filter off my 99 with not luck. We both ha the cheap plastic quick connect tools with would fit in place but not release it. Anyone ran into this issue and found a tool that works? I bought a better tool from harbor freight that is metal and "should" do the job. Just wanted to know if there was anything that could be done to help this other than spraying it with PB Blast.
5/16" performance is the one i have. its the red one. it works good.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Performance_Tool/Fuel_Line_Disconnect_Tool/PFTW83130.html?source=gglpla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9LPYBRDSARIsAHL7J5manBdY111hIitpF1mCw_vKXgXhqrQbc4WYZWygRTSCTwq8532Q_wwaAg-jEALw_wcB

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
also blast the area where the tool goes in with pb blaster or wd 40 to flush out the crud that has built up around the spring. this will let the tool go in deeper and easier, plus make the line slide better when disconnecting it.

AJ

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I got the scissor type tool and I hope this works. I don't want to have to buy another set of fuel line tools. this filter should come off fairly easy. I believe its the original from 99 so its had time to get stubborn.

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also, the clips will not release with pressure in the fuel lines. I pull the fuel pump relay with engine idling and let it run out of fuel then pull the filter.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
also blast the area where the tool goes in with pb blaster or wd 40 to flush out the crud that has built up around the spring. this will let the tool go in deeper and easier, plus make the line slide better when disconnecting it. X2

When I replaced the filter on the Rat, it was my first go-round with the push on connectors. I sprayed 'em good and wiggled and generally messed around with them . And Lo, they released like they were new! They won't move enough if they are full of road grime, Clean out the dirt and you're stylin' :D

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got that filter off finally. used the metal scissor type tool from harbor freight. Should have just got that from the get go. Once I got the filter off a bunch of black fuel started pouring out of it. So that definitely needed replaced.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Got that filter off finally. used the metal scissor type tool from harbor freight. Should have just got that from the get go. Once I got the filter off a bunch of black fuel started pouring out of it. So that definitely needed replaced.
Congratulations!! I picked up that same tool in anticipation of other things it will not work on the air conditioning quick connects it is too thick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals