• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trains vs trucks...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tractors are rated in drawbar horsepower. See that link above--they don't mention torque. Meaningless.
Usually guys go off of PTO HP not drawbar.

Nebraska weights things weird and makes the "drawbar rating" hard to relate to in real life.

PTO hp is universal, it doesn't matter what options you have if you need more traction you can add weight. And it is much easier to measure, we have guys say set it to X and we drag out the dyno and make it happen. It is a better baseline, every 7800 John Deere has the same engine, not every 7800 has the same tire/weight/loader configuration.

And PTO is a higher number and sounds better when you are talking to the neighbors. :secret:

Last edited:

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My old Kubota B7100 Diesel compact tractor is rated at 13 PTO HP...In 4 wheel drive compound low it can pull a surprising amount of weight if traction is not an issue...Gearing is everything with IC engines...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My old Kubota B7100 Diesel compact tractor is rated at 13 PTO HP...In 4 wheel drive compound low it can pull a surprising amount of weight if traction is not an issue...Gearing is everything with IC engines...
Gearing, tires, weight/balance, hitch height... all big variables for pulling.

My two main tractors are kind of lightweight and use a draft sensing hitch to add weight from the implement being used as needed. There is no way to measure that...

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You can do alot with a little.

My old farmall cub is rated at 10 PTO HP (ok, 9.8) but i know for a fact itll drag a 4000lb LTD II with 2 locked brakes. This is what makes many small tractors (atleast older ones) so dangerous, they will pull WAYYYYY more then they are capable of stopping/controling.

Torque isnt meaningless, yes, torque can be exerted at 0 RPM, ill give you that, but if you dont have the torque to spin past 0rpm then no work is going to get done.

The ISX 15 in my peterbilt makes ~500hp and right around 2000ftlbs.

A 2018 Vette makes around 500hp and around 500ftlbs.

Assuming the same gearing (in this case, a 13speed eaton with 3.55 rears) that vette engine, is not even going to come close to moving 80000lb gross. This is where torque comes into play.

Yes, you could give it 35 gears and a 20:1 rear axle ratio, but infront of those gears, the cummins will still out pull it.

Its like having a contest between a world class strongman and an accountant to see who can break a rusted lug nut loose, given a much bigger bar could the accountant do it? Of course, but given the same size bar the strongman is going to win, everytime.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals