• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98+ DJM Upper Control Arms Too Wide For Frame

Brad4321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2001 ranger, 2wd, DJM 4/5 drop kit

Upon trying to install the upper arms, I have noticed two things. First is that the arms are (measured) 1/4" wider at the bushing end than the factories. In the included pictures, one bushing is in place. As you can see, the other one will not line up without a lot of force...and I can't see that polyurethane bushing lasting very long with this much misalignment. I tried both arms and both are wider than the factory mounts. The original upper control arm slides in an out of the frame without interference.

The second issue is I do not see a c-clip in the balljoint, yet I see a place for a c-clip. I am assuming there should be a c-clip installed here, yet there is not? The lowers have a c-clip installed. I have not test fitted the lowers yet...a bit afraid too.

Did I just get a bad set of arms, or are they suppose to be wider? To say the least, this is a bit disheartening.

Attachments

Brad4321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Just adding a couple more pics for your viewing pleasure. I really can't see this being the design. In both of these pictures, the arms are lined up at one end showing the width difference at the other.

Attachments

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
where did you get the kit form? Those don't look like Ranger arms to me....

Brad4321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Brian from Illusive Design and Fabrications.

The lower arms are the correct distance apart. Don't know about the rest.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Just adding a couple more pics for your viewing pleasure. I really can't see this being the design. In both of these pictures, the arms are lined up at one end showing the width difference at the other.

Having a machinist background, I find it amazing that those arms are off more than 1/16th inch....(welding distortion)

let's hope somebody put the wrong arms in the right box & they''ll correct the problem for you in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1freaky1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Definitely give the dealer a call about it and they should exchange them for you, also call DJM and see what they say, at least this way they will know that they had a bad batch of arms come out and they may do a direct exchange and pay for shipping both ways. I have seen a couple guys come out that way where it only cost them a day or two in down time. Worth a call!

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
OP, Did you ever get this resolved?

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
see this is an example when you should see when the op was last online and then pm him and not bring up a year old thread.

Brad4321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Oops, I thought I posted a conclusion to this. I hate it when I am doing a search for a problem and they never post the fix.

Yes, I did get it solved with much bickering. It turns out that DJM changed their design about the time I bought my lowering kit. They made the arms wider (as you can see in the pics), but installed a much thinner bushing to make up for the difference. The arms shipped to me had the original, equal thickness bushings installed causing the problems. DJM shipped me the new, extra thin bushings, I pressed them in, and we were good to go. The truck was down for about a month waiting on someone to admit fault. DJM was not overly helpful and did not impress me with their customer service. About 5 years ago I bought a drop kit for my F150 that I still haven't installed from DJM. It scares me a bit after this mess.

The ranger is my daily driver and business vehicle and I have put a few thousand miles on it since last year without issue. The ride quality is very near stock and my hauling capacity has not really changed. I rebuild engines and often haul big blocks, midrange diesel engines, and etc at 1000lbs or less in the bed (I stay within legal weights) with no issue to the lowering. I am quite happy with the kit at this point.

tajvelocity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazduh
Engine Size
2.5 Kittens
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem with mine. I posted pretty much the same thing you did on another forum and I think people just said it was normal. I just forced mine in which I probably shouldn't have. I was unhappy with the ride and maybe this is partially to blame. I will also say that I think the finish on the arms isn't great as that crinkle finish started to flake off after 6 months. I have since raised the truck and am now going to lower it AGAIN because I get bored, I can't make up my mind and I like wasting money apparently. I'll probably be in the market for these arms again in the future and I'm glad I ran across this post. I'm also glad it worked out for you in the long run.

Brad4321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If you forced the arms in, I would definitely say that is a contributor to the poor ride quality. There is no way suspension geometry would be correct with the arms forced in. Something is bending.

My ride quality is quite nice, even loaded. I opted for the more expensive shock option, which may or may not be a contributor depending on which shocks you used. Ride quality and load capacity was a big concern for me as I do not care for the looks of lowriders, I did it at part of the fuel economy/aeromods. Lowering the truck has lowered my frontal area due to a reduced frontal air dam requirement.

My paint has stayed on for over a year now with no flaking. However, it is a pretty cheap powder coating. I keep my truck pretty clean and do not drive it in salt/snow, which is likely a contributor.

Daniel C

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This makes me not want to buy from Illusive Design and fabrication.

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
This makes me not want to buy from Illusive Design and fabrication.
What does this have to do with Illusive Fab? Its a DJM product flaw, and they sent him a new set to fix the issue. :dunno:

Brad4321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, this was not Brian's fault, it was DJM's. All the problems I had getting this fixed was from DJM directly. I dealt with DJM, not Brian, getting this fixed once I realized what the problem was (wrong parts supplied, not that I was too stupid to install them).

DJM didn't send me a set of new arms, but new bushings. I have a press and was able to install them easily. Someone without a shop press may have a bit more issue. I don't think this was too good on DJM's part as well.

Truck is still holding up fine. Many pot holes, interstates miles, and heavy loads (for a ranger) later I haven't had any additional issues. I was worried buying this kit as I heard reports of people bending the DJM control arms on pot holes and the like. I have had no issues yet.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Those DJM that were bending were the first design from years ago before I even started IDF, probably like ten years ago. Also you dont have to have a press to get the bushings out You can use a hammer and a socket to get the inner sleeve out then use a screw driver to work one side of the bushing out and then you can knock the other side out. DJM has changed their designs on parts a couple times and never told me anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals