• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing 2.9 tomorrow/trans question

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I pulled a motor from the junkyard yesterday. I replaced the rear main, oil pump, water pump, and distributor. This is going to bolt up to the existing automatic tranny. I've never worked with an automatic so it makes me a little nervous.

When I place the torque converter back on I spin it until it seats? Should be three clicks? How noticeable is it when it seats? I don't want to screw it up.

Also, when I pulled the motor I didn't remove the torque converter prior to pulling the old motor. I pulled the torque and flex plate at the same time. Is there any way to check and make sure I didn't damage anything in the torque converter? Is it common to pull the motor and leave the torque converter attached?

Hope to have my BII running in the next couple of days.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
Usually speaking it is not a good idea to pull the torque convertor out in that fashion. You would br hard pressed to hard the converter but you can crack the case and damage the tranney oil pump. However if it didn't damage the tranny then reseating the convertor into the tranney is a fairly easy. Double check the sealing area the convertor will slide into for any damage. If all is well then slide the convertor in and rotate pushing it in. You should hear 2 sets of thunks when it fully seats. You’ll know if you have it in correctly if the convertor face is about 2" or so IIRC below the lip of the bell housing. Otherwise once you have the motor in and everything buttoned up the motor won't turn over by hand to turn it for tightening up the flywheel/convertor bolts......Ask me how I know...... Good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals