• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring up components and a sub, need amp suggestions

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
In my '92 extended cab I plan to install pioneer 5 1/4" component speakers in kick panel enclosures and a pioneer 10" sub. I will be deleting the factory 5x7s from the back, so I will have just the components and sub.

I need suggestions on a amp to run. Is it possible to run all of that off of one? Or would I be better off running 2 amps?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
they make 3 channel amps... but i'd run two different amps... b/c you want a class a/b on the components and a class d on the sub for the best sound quality available.

the 3 channel amps are HIGH and won't give you the best sound possible. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?id=965&affiliate=googadw&gclid=CL-_867Huq0CFQ9Y7AodQEaE_Q

any reason you need to amp your mids/highs? you can't just run them from the radio?
personally i'd run a 2 or 4 channel class a/b on the mid/highs and a class d mono on the sub.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
any reason you need to amp your mids/highs? you can't just run them from the radio?
personally i'd run a 2 or 4 channel class a/b on the mid/highs and a class d mono on the sub.

Good point, I could just run the speakers off of the headunit. I just wonder if amplifying them with a seperate unit would be better for sound?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Good point, I could just run the speakers off of the headunit. I just wonder if amplifying them with a seperate unit would be better for sound?
depends on the headunit you have... if you have a good quality headunit, it'll be fine. i like using a 4 channel on my mids/highs b/c it does give you a little better control for sound. my 5x7's have more mid-low's and mid's...where my 4.5's up front have more high-mids and highs (tweeters are also hooked to my front speakers).

so i have deep bass w/ my sub, mid-low/mids in 5x7's, and high-mids/highs in my 4.5's & tweeters.

i often tell people to use a 4 channel if you want better control and more clarity, when you can, you wanna push your volume by power... don't push volume w/ volume...but also, don't max out your speakers w/ power..

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

fordmanms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 Ranger extended cab. I have a sony head unit with 2 ch. pre-amp output which i have running to my 4 channel Amp. I have that set as a single channel (mono) which allows it to supply full power to my 10' JL Sub. I left the factory door speakers and rear speakers as the head unit pushes enough power to them so i can use them just for mids and highs.

With this setup, It doesnt win any awards, but people who ride with me enjoy the sounds. If I park the ranger in my detached garage with the door closed and go into my house, I can hear and feel the sounds.

On a related note, I built my sub box so it sits over the hump with the sub facing down. This allowed me to create storage next to the subs and still utilize the jumper seats.

Mark

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
if you're buying an amp for a sub... get a class d tho.

mark--idk why you're using a 4 channel for mono, maybe you already had it or something?? i've done it to.. lol. but if you're going to have to buy something, buy something for what its intended for. class d= subs. class a/b=mids/highs. most 4 channels are class a/b

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I have a 99 Ranger extended cab. I have a sony head unit with 2 ch. pre-amp output which i have running to my 4 channel Amp. I have that set as a single channel (mono) which allows it to supply full power to my 10' JL Sub. I left the factory door speakers and rear speakers as the head unit pushes enough power to them so i can use them just for mids and highs.

With this setup, It doesnt win any awards, but people who ride with me enjoy the sounds. If I park the ranger in my detached garage with the door closed and go into my house, I can hear and feel the sounds.

On a related note, I built my sub box so it sits over the hump with the sub facing down. This allowed me to create storage next to the subs and still utilize the jumper seats.

Mark
you have pictures of the box? I planned on building mine into a center console as well, but facing towards the back of the truck, your setup does sound intriguing though.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals