• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 misfire at 2400rpm

FordBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L
Transmission
Manual
hey guys i need help bad. my uncle and myself rebuilt a 1998 3L 5 speed ranger. it has a missfire at 2200, 2300, 2600 rpm in every gear only under load, it seems to be moving to a wider rpm range the more i drive it, it only has this miss fire when it's warm. no check engine light, it's still getting 28 mpg, passed an etest with this problem although it did have high noix which i dont know if there is a connection, it has 60psi fuel pressure. for various problems it;s got many new parts, tps, iac, plugs, wires, coil pack, coolent temp sensor, cleaned maf with proper cleaner. i'm stumped and my last truck had the same problem and we never figoured it out. i dont have a scan tool so i cant check codes. any suggestions are much apreciated sorry for the long post

thanks
jimmy

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Could be a valve, have you done a compression test? Also could be the fuel filter or the syncronizer taking a hike on you. The syncro seems to cause more problems than its worth, yet another brilliant ford design.

FordBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L
Transmission
Manual
hey man thanks for the input i looked into it a bit more and it is miss firing under load or not. i pulled the codes yesterday and it has a bank 1, sensor 1, o2 sensor slow responce and bank 2, sensor 1, malfunction in heater o2 sensor and 02 sensor slow responce bank 2, sensor 1, as well as cam position malfuntion. i will change the cam position sensor, but is there a way to tell which o2 sensors i need to change? and i spoke to a mechanic and he said my cat is probably the reason some of the o2 sensors are slow. thanks for your input any more help would be much appreciated

Last edited:

Runnin'OnEmpty

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger EDGE
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hey man thanks for the input i looked into it a bit more and it is miss firing under load or not. i pulled the codes yesterday and it has a bank 1, sensor 1, o2 sensor slow responce and bank 2, sensor 1, malfunction in heater o2 sensor and 02 sensor slow responce bank 2, sensor 1, as well as cam position malfuntion. i will change the cam position sensor, but is there a way to tell which o2 sensors i need to change? and i spoke to a mechanic and he said my cat is probably the reason some of the o2 sensors are slow. thanks for your input any more help would be much appreciated
Fordboy, bank 1 is the passenger side bank, and bank 2 is (obviously)
driver's side. Sensor 1 is the upstream sensor, or the one nearest the
exhaust header.

Slow response usually means the sensor is getting worn out;
don't really know about a clogged cat causing that code....?

Make sure the cam position sensor code isn't caused by the synchro.
It's a common problem in the 3.0, usually coincides with a
bird chirp noise heard from underneath the passenger side wheelwell.
If the synchro goes bad, it can also take out the cam sensor......

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
If the syncro goes bad your motor will grenade(as well as take out the sensor:) ) but thats the least of your worries at that point. I guess a plugged cat could cause a slow response from the o2 sensors but I don't know enough about that to give any good advice. Im with runnin on empty about them getting worn out but they are probably caked with carbon or other BS of that nature, stupid trucks have to have 3 o2 sensors that are in really crappy places, wear good gloves and plan on racking the shit out your knuckles if your doing it your self:) Let some PB blaster sit on them overnight that helps the little bastards come out easier. Change that Cam position sensor for sure then look into the o2 sensors, that stuff is better than a messed up valve though.

Horch02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am new to this site and I could use some help. I have a 2000 Ranger 3.0 automatic 180000 miles. About 2 months ago I had a loud chriping, so I had the cam syncro replaced. This solved my problems up until a couple weeks ago. I have an intermittent code P0340(camshaft postion sensor), replaced sensor, still throws code. Bigger problem is that at higher RPMs i get a miss/buck. Could this be my cam syncro and assembly again? What should I do next?

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you replace the sensor on top of it ??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals