• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 no power...

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2000 3.0 ranger manual transmission and i have NO power, my friend with the same truck but a lift and automatic tranny can pull out in front of me in a race, and i happen to have a k&n intake flowmaster 40 series throttle body spacer and smaller tires! while he has none of that and larger tires. I dont understand why this is happening, even my friend that has 4banger 2.7 4runner has more power and torque. i just dont understand why i have no power whatsoever. i know its a 3.0 but dang... anyone got any ideas of why i have an engine with NO balls, when ive done everything to give it more.

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Different differential gears.
Try going 4.56:1 and 225/70 R15 or 235/70R15

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Well, a muffler and a TB spacer won't net you anything. The K&N unit might be giving you a 1-2 hp increase...

Its quite possible his truck has a numerically higher gear ratio in the rear axle.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Maybe a full tune up is in order?

And what RPM are you shifting at?

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i shift at 5g and double clutch but tats where he pulls away, on his truck he can also do about 10 mph faster in first gear, and so on.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While intake and exhaust help your engine breath and flow, they don't necessarily turn it into a drag truck. Try changing your gears. And when's the last time you replaced your filters? I replaced my fuel filter the other day and I noticed it ran a little smoother.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
i shift at 5g and double clutch but tats where he pulls away, on his truck he can also do about 10 mph faster in first gear, and so on.
There's no need to double clutch your trans... thats why it has syncros.

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea if i shift too fast through 2nd it grinds so thats the only reason, i realize its not a drag truck and thats not what i want but, id like to have a decent amount of power on tap when i need it and it really doesnt have much, as far as i know the fuel filter has never been replaced. i will check it out though

Clay_95Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Straight tune up, oil, plugs, fuel filters that works for a tune up and if that doesnt work, except that your truck is not a dragger...

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea if i shift too fast through 2nd it grinds so thats the only reason, i realize its not a drag truck and thats not what i want but, id like to have a decent amount of power on tap when i need it and it really doesnt have much, as far as i know the fuel filter has never been replaced. i will check it out though
I definately would. It's below the driver's door on the inside of the frame rail. It's like a 10 dollar part at autozone. Don't forget to release the fuel pressure at the schrader valve either! I have a 3.0 in my 99. It's got some torque but it's still a dog.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem with grinding shifting into 2nd fast and I was told it is due to not having bushings in the shifter (for some people its bad bushings, but my mechanic said I have literally NO bushings). Supposedly a bushing kit will fix that but I'm actually saving up for a Hurst shifter.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Well, our transmissions weren't meant for speedy fast supercar shifts anywho. lol but a firm shift shouldn't take very long to complete. If I jam the shifter back I will hear a quick grinding sound but a steady but quick shift will get me where I'm going. Fleck, in your sig it says you removed your thermostat?

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, our transmissions weren't meant for speedy fast supercar shifts anywho. lol but a firm shift shouldn't take very long to complete. If I jam the shifter back I will hear a quick grinding sound but a steady but quick shift will get me where I'm going. Fleck, in your sig it says you removed your thermostat?
Yeah, you're either the 2nd to ask or that is your 2nd time asking. What is your concern with no t-stat?

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Your engine isn't able to operate at minimum of 180 degrees. Your computer will always run rich (thinking it needs to be warmed up). Also, your increasing the wear in your engine because the tolerances set by Ford are for operating temps. When your cast pistons expand at a different rate than your iron block.... well you get the point.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your engine isn't able to operate at minimum of 180 degrees. Your computer will always run rich (thinking it needs to be warmed up). Also, your increasing the wear in your engine because the tolerances set by Ford are for operating temps. When your cast pistons expand at a different rate than your iron block.... well you get the point.
Alright, my mechanic isn't too keen on some technical aspects especially on newer stuff he isn't experienced with. We're going to do a radiator flush within the next few days because I still have some sludge to clear out of there, so I'll address the issue then. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals