• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my gas mileage problems

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the 13-14 mpg i was getting seems to just because of the way i was driving. i.e. cold engine 80% of the time and I'm not the easiest on the throttle. I just got 24.4 mpg from Virginia Beach to Richmond and back. 221.8 miles, my truck needed a good highway run. but an almost 100% increase in mileage aint bad:yahoo:

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
to bad the 3.0 doesnt start making power till 3000 rpm I noticed my truck took uphills better 75 with the rpm around 2600-2700 auto with 3.73 gears

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I'm sorry, are you saying you got 24+ MPG with the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION? If so, your 3.0 is in PERFECT tune with the cosmos, and your tranny has some whiz-bang fluid in it. Heck, that's great mileage for a manual, especially in hill country.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i drive to VA all the time about 250 miles one way and i do about 21mpg on an 06 3.0l auto and thats about 75 80 mph all the time.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its 2wd...24MPG doesnt surprise me even with an auto. talked to a guy once with a 5 speed 2wd 3.0 getting over 26.

thats the high end of the spectrum though, you should feel special.

dont forget, your automatic has a gear selector too. dont be afraid to bump it down a gear by hand to keep it up near its peak torque for hills (fords shift points for the auto 3.0 in the rangers BLOWS. drive an auto 3.0 taurus sometime and you'll see what i mean).

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
to bad the 3.0 doesnt start making power till 3000 rpm I noticed my truck took uphills better 75 with the rpm around 2600-2700 auto with 3.73 gears
Put a 180* thermostat in your 3.0, do the MAF mod, take the restrictive intake piece out of your airbox, do the hot water bypass mod, and install an electric radiator fan and your 3.0 will give you all the low-end torque you could want. Well maybe not all the torque you could want, but those mods do improve the low-end tremendously, and it's nice to have my truck actually respond when I hit the throttle.

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i also have a tonneuo(sp) over the bed borla exhaust and k&n replacement filter.
I know the last 2 from what i here on here dont do anything except sound nice. but maybe they help mileage some

i probably would of done more to keep it at peak torque but my mom was riding with me and she was already unhappy with my driving (she doesnt trust me on the highway still, and yet my dad thinks i drive extremely well especialy compared to my brother who is 3 years older then me

Last edited:

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i drive to VA all the time about 250 miles one way and i do about 21mpg on an 06 3.0l auto and thats about 75 80 mph all the time.
i was 70 most of the time 65 at the top of some bigger hills only hit 80 because my mom was with me but traffic wasnt moving that fast anyway so it wasnt to bad. to be honest ive never maxed my spedo at 85 yet and ive had the truck for almost 1 1/2 years

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals