• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Camshaft help!!!!

87RangerSTX

Ford 4 Life!
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
My friend is rebuilding his friends 3.0 and he keeps complaining that he cant find a performance camshaft for it. Anyone have any brands or other information for 3.0 camshafts? My friend T.J. would appreciate the help.

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a cam and lifters in great shape from my 3.0L I had in my Bronco II.
It's a Camcraft with .448lift int & exh, when using 1.6 rockers
Duration in252 ex256
Excellent condition - just broken in.

With a port job, headers and some other goodies it pushed a decent 200HP and was a fun truck till my friend rolled it for me....

Anyways, it's for an older non roller lifter 3.0L engine and I'll throw in the lifters for $150 - shipped

I also have a set of hand ported heads that are pretty good - just need new seals.
Also ported upper intakes and headers with a 2.5" diameter outlet.

PM me if you're interested

87RangerSTX

Ford 4 Life!
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey great! Let me know what you want for everything separatly and as a package and I'll get in touch with my friend and see if that is what he wants to do. thanks

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Before You buy it make sure it fits your friend's application. In case it doesn't fit try the guys at Crower Cams in San Diego, CA. Even though it doesn't show in their catalog They do make a cam for any motor. Their 'phone is (619) 661-6477 M - F 7:00 am to 5:00 pm pst. Closed 12:00 to 1:00 pm for Lunch. I know the guys.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it pushed a decent 200HP
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

right.

anyways. nobody produces new cams for the 3.0...any that you come across are regrinds. since your getting a regrind anyway, you might as well take your cam down to your local machine shop and see what they would charge you to do it up in whatever fashion you want. this way you'd save on shipping and you can have it ground to suite your tastes.

if your hell bent on buying a cam thats already made, camcraft (usually) carries regrinds for the 3.0...i just visited their site and it looks like their moving or something and i cant nagivate their site. you could probably call them for info.

you might also look into a set of roller rockers (hit the search).

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

right.

anyways. nobody produces new cams for the 3.0...any that you come across are regrinds. since your getting a regrind anyway, you might as well take your cam down to your local machine shop and see what they would charge you to do it up in whatever fashion you want. this way you'd save on shipping and you can have it ground to suite your tastes.

if your hell bent on buying a cam thats already made, camcraft (usually) carries regrinds for the 3.0...i just visited their site and it looks like their moving or something and i cant nagivate their site. you could probably call them for info.

you might also look into a set of roller rockers (hit the search).
I wish you were around for a white knuckle ride like a few of my friends went on. Everyone always asked me "what you got in this thing?". I've driven stock Bronco II's with the 2.9 and my 3.0 slaughtered them. It really did run like a scared rabbit.
Anyways, I bought this cam in January of '01 from Camcraft just before they stopped making raw billets for the aftermarket. The 3.0L wasn't a big enough market to support the manufacturers.
If you have a roller lifter block, all you can do is a little bit of modification to the stock grind - according to Charles, there isn't that much that can be done with them. This is why you can only get regrinds now.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive had people that dont know what their talking about ask me what i have under the hood too (stock engine). its just how you drive it. bragging that you can beat an SUV with less HP than your stock motor isnt very impressive.

it took the SHO 3.0 DOHC's, monsterous variable length intake runners, and 7,000RPM just to make 220hp. theres no way the vulcan is going to make 200 hp without forced induction or some MASSIVE changes to the engine.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ive had people that dont know what their talking about ask me what i have under the hood too (stock engine). its just how you drive it. bragging that you can beat an SUV with less HP than your stock motor isnt very impressive.

it took the SHO 3.0 DOHC's, monsterous variable length intake runners, and 7,000RPM just to make 220hp. theres no way the vulcan is going to make 200 hp without forced induction or some MASSIVE changes to the engine.
Sludge is probably right....I'm sure it was very peppy, but if you had dyno printout proof, you'd have already posted it.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sludge is probably right....I'm sure it was very peppy, but if you had dyno printout proof, you'd have already posted it.

Probably a BUTT DYNO measurement......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals