• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fog Lights

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
my 1999 ranger xlt 4x4 3.0 manual trans. Its don't have fog lights and i won't to add them. I got a bezel from ebay with switch, added no. 8&10 relays also fuse no.8 in dash and fuse 4 under the hood. problem is the plug ends behind the bumper are round and are set up for four pin. i have looked for adapters and haven't found any. i really don't like cutting up a wiring harness, anyone have a part number for this plug. Ford or after market. Thanks:dunno:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I take it that you have this........

but you want this.......

did you intend on getting the factory foglights & the factory GFX trim that goes with the foglights?

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
yes

Yes i have the lights, just haven't made up my mind to get the plastic lower part. or put another bumper on it i have. My 2002 4x4 4.0 has the factory fog lights and i've used them a few times. there handy.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
All of the basic model bumpers for 98-99 have the same basic valance under them, the XLT models were optioned with the foglight valance, have a look under your current bumper to see if the mounting tabs for the foglights are there. If so you don't need to replace the bumper, just get the valance.

You can get a new valance from LMC truck, they're not expensive.

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
back to problem

Back to my problem and it is the round plugins for fog lights behind bumper. my 2002 has the flat two pin plug. 1999 has the round plug with four pins. would like to find the other half of plugins. don't won't to cut the wiring harness. like to keep the wiring factory.:dunno:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
The 98-99 fog bulbs are 9006, the later 02 fog bulbs are 9145, the housings are different.
If you are going to use the OEM lamp housing for your 99 Ranger then you'll need the 98-99 fog lamp housings (which you say you have) but you'll have to possibly scour a scrap yard to look for a 98-99 Ranger with the fog lights or purchase a pair of new sub-harnesses to get the needed short sub-harness that is on the back end of the foglamp housing. The sub harness plugs into the main electrical harness. The harness at the foglamp connector is a two pin connector.
It looks like this.......

I take it that your 99 XLT does or does not have the main foglight harness in behind the bumper laying there unused.

Last edited:

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
crazy fog lights

I was missing around with hooking up fog lights today. and found that the switch in the bezel has power all the time. for lights is powered up through switch with lights turn lights off fog lights go out but switch still has power. you can have all lights on and turn on brights for lights go off. just can't turn them off with the switch the bezel. should it have power all time and go off with relay making a ground.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Not quite sure I understand what you're asking......

are you *messing*:) with the '99 or the '02 truck?

your '99 is a foglight delete vehicle so there won't be a switch in the dash bezel, but there is in the '02.

The foglight wiring is supplied thru the headlight circuit, the fog light relay only gets voltage when the multi-function switch (turn signal) is in the low beam position or *flash-to-pass*, when you push the lever *down* for high beam the voltage to the relay is cancelled. Yes, the foglight switch is *hot* all the time but seeing as the relay is *open* when the lights are off or in high beam there is no closed circuit for current to flow.

Last edited:

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
fog lights

55trucker i screwed up, should have looked at a wiring digram. i put a bezel and switch in my 99 just like the one in my 02. their was a plugin their that fit so i put it in. the fog lights do go off on high beam and on, on low beam. i see what your saying that's why the switch in the bezel won't turn them off it's not meet to be their.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals