• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 3.0 distributor gear failure

82GT5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is my first post, I have a 1994 ranger 3.0 196000 miles ran really good until today when the dist gear failed in other words it wore out the teeth. That being said the gear and the shaft seem to be almost dry (no oil) is this common? Could there be built up sludge in the valley that would block the flow of return oil to the gears. Also the teeth on the cam look to be fine not worn anything like the dist. I also own 95 ranger 2.3 but this my first experience with a 3.0 Thanks for any help

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
distributors wear out, especially at that mileage. lube to the cam/dizzy is light...i doubt anything is plugged. the cam gear is probably fine as its made from a heavier material than the dizzy gear (theres a reason for that...the dizzy gear is easier to replace).

just drop a new dizzy in (or try to replace the gear if your feeling brave)...and your good for another 200,000 miles.

82GT5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. I thought that was the deal but it never hurts to ask. I found a dist. rebuild for 75.00 I'll give it a try . still am amazed this thing runs as good as it does. again thanks for your help.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
75 bucks is a good deal. plop it on there!

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
If oil flow is poor in that region :icon_surprised: , how do the metal filings from the worn gear get carried away?? :icon_confused:

It shouldn't be that hard to get oil to that area, so low and rearward... the bastiges... makes me want to drop an Audi V-10 in there, LOL!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
If oil flow is poor in that region :icon_surprised: , how do the metal filings from the worn gear get carried away?? :icon_confused:
ahh, ford thought of that too.....the gear is nylon :icon_rofl:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
ahh, ford thought of that too.....the gear is nylon :icon_rofl:
D'OH!!... well, I bet those particles are picked up quickly by the MAGNETIC drain plug! :icon_rofl: FoMoCo... what'll they save a ha-penny on next. :rolleyes:

351crownvic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this also is my fist post here on TRS but i am a avid member of RPS.. Here is some of my posts on that topic over at RPS... No one seems to believe me...

I think I know what causes this problem. Now I have had the same thing happen with my 94. What happened was the distrubitor gear had 2 teeth sheared off of it. I looked down the distrubitor hole and cranked the motor over and i didn't like what i saw. I have searched many junk yards and 3.0s looking for another distrubitor and here is what i found out.

NEARLY EVERY SINGLE 3.0 I HAD FOUND HAD THE SAME WEAR ON THE DISTRUBITOR GEAR THAT I HAD AND THAT ONLY MEANS THAT THE 3.0'S CAM CAN BE BENT AT THE REAR OF THE CAM CAUSING IT TO DIG INTO THE SYNCRO OR DISTRUBITOR GEAR INSTEAD OF MESHING WITH IT THE WAY IT SHOULD THUS CAUSING GEAR FAILURE!!!

The way i have seemed to extend the life of my gear is using the 5w30 that they recomend heaver weight oil puts more strain on that gear causing the cam gear to have to push harder aginst the oil pump/ distrubitor/ syncro gear causing more damage since its not meshing properly.

IN short the only way to make shure it wont happen is to replace the stock cam with a cam that has been checked and made shure that it is perfectly straight...

I still insist on the end of the cam being bent. I had 3 distrubitors in mine. I change them every few thousand miles to make them last much longer. It quit on me one day at the gas station. I got it home took distrubitor out and cranked the motor over.

I physicaly watched it, it is slightly bent. Thus constantly wearing away the same teeth on every single distrubitor that I have put in it. If it was a cam sensor the motor would have been a pile of iron.. Check it out for yourself next time u pull out your cam sensor and see that it is wore more on some teeth than the others.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if your going through dizzys every few thousand miles then something is very wrong with your truck. my truck has the original dizzy in it with 130,000 miles and when i had it out of the truck at 120K, it had absolutely no abnormal wear on the dizzy gear. dizzy failures on the 3.0 overall are no more common than they are on any other distributor-equipped engine and its not uncommon for 150-200K mile trucks to have the original dizzy. we had a guy here with over 300K on his NOS fed 3.0 and the engine had never been opened.

im not saying your cam isnt bent...or that there wasnt a bad run of cams that were all bent. im saying that either not all 3.0 cams are bent, or that a small amount of runout wont have any negitive effects on distributor life.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals