• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

There is NO egr valve on a 2003 ford ranger!

sethsbseries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Manual
just to let everyone know on the 3.0 engine , also you can buy a step side tool box from summit for 331 after tax, and I have spliced out that thing called inertia switch, it almost caught on fire because of arching inside the switch! I love my edge!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EGR valves can be area specific, i.e. what state it was first sold in
So all 3.0l engines are not without EGR valve, most have one.

Replace the inertia switch, junk yard or new.

No one plans on being in an accident, resulting fire could ruin your, or your families, day :)

sethsbseries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Manual
find an 03 so I can see it! also ford is the only one with exception of jeep to use inertia switches, no other mfr. used them, if the engine shuts down in an accident the fuel pump cuts after 5 seconds anyway. It was a faulty part and a faulty design.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
find an 03 so I can see it! also ford is the only one with exception of jeep to use inertia switches, no other mfr. used them, if the engine shuts down in an accident the fuel pump cuts after 5 seconds anyway. It was a faulty part and a faulty design.
While I am loath to admit that you might be correct about anything, you are correct in your assertion (which you turned into a rather odd thread title) that the 3.0L V6 in the Ranger did not have an EGR valve in 2003. The only Ranger engine that did have one that year was the 2.3L.

That being said, you are wrong about the inertia switch. You assume that in the wreck the engine stalls or starves of fuel before the vehicle goes up in flames. I have seen many fuel leaks that did not bleed off enough pressure to kill the engine, but they sure did spray everywhere.

Also, while you may have had a faulty part, it is not a faulty design. Additionally, all manufacturers have some method of shutting down the fuel pump when an impact of sufficient force is detected. Most of them (post 2010) use an accelerometer that is built into the ABS or RCM modules. When the sensor sees an abrupt stop above a certain level of force it's module sends a message back to the PCM to shut down the fuel pump. Same concept, different parts.

sethsbseries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Manual
I took it off no big deal, hell I've had 570hp mustang with two fuel pumps supercharged beast without inertia switch... :icon_thumby:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Really, no EGR system in a 2003 3.0l, :icon_confused:

What did they do about the pinging? :icon_rofl:

Good info

A little confused on what a mustang with two fuel pumps(electric I assume) without an inertia switch would have to do with not reinstalling one for safety reasons??
Especially since of all the switches in a vehicle this is the one you most likely will never have a problem with.

sethsbseries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Manual
All I'm going to say is: a new member arguing with TWO people that know what their talking about. Real smart bro, real smart.
yes because getting on a forum gives you unlimited experience...

Bob_M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am not arguing with the original poster or those with more knowledge, just speaking from what I know about the inertia switch. My company got the business after Ford had a lot of issues with their previous supplier. I work at the company that makes it and I designed and started up the assembly line and revised the switch after it got into production.

As far as the inertia switch is concerned, Ford in their infinite wisdom initially located it on the inside of the firewall right where you could kick it with your foot and loosen or break off the base of the switch (could be why yours was arching) or bump it with a tool box.

We relocated it inside the right side kick panel and there was a hatch provided so you could reset it easily. I believe there was a dealer alert to relocate it for customers by request.

It is there for a reason, to cut off power to your fuel pump in the event of a collision. This function is now mostly done with accelerometers as mentioned earlier. Removing it and jumping the connection means that your fuel pump will continue to pump fuel at 50 psi if the fuel line ruptures in an accident as long as the motor continues to run.

We called it a "Pinto Switch" for good reason. The chance is remote but I just don't want to hear that you ended up looking like Fire Marshall Bill cooked up extra crispy in a truck fire.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals