• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto-Locking Hubs Question

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My BII with 2.9, 5speed, push button transfer case has the auto locking hubs. I have been going to switch to the manule hubs as I have a 89 BII with them for a donor. So far so good.

A friend of mine has the same truck but it's an 88 BII. He told me that the auto hubs when they fail engage and pull the truck to the side about 6 feet before you can get control of it..

Question, is this what happens when they fail? If not what does???

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When mine failed they wouldn't lock or as soon as they would grab they would pop like crazy. Fixed that problem by turning them into drive flanges, no worries as to if they were locked or not cuz I knew they were locked at all times.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A friend of mine told me that the auto hubs when they fail engage and pull the truck to the side about 6 feet before you can get control of it..
If you friend has genuinely had this experience then he is either a worse driver than the 60-something, cell-phone talking, asian woman I passed driving a grand marquis 35 mph in a 55 tonight, or he has some other very very serious front end issues, and may or may not be driving with his 4x4 engaged, and front end locked (like with a locker) on the road, which would just feed back into the first part.

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea they just make an awful racket and dont work. Get those manuals in there before you get stranded on the trail

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you friend has genuinely had this experience then he is either a worse driver than the 60-something, cell-phone talking, asian woman I passed driving a grand marquis 35 mph in a 55 tonight, or he has some other very very serious front end issues, and may or may not be driving with his 4x4 engaged, and front end locked (like with a locker) on the road, which would just feed back into the first part.
I was gonna say something along those lines but tried to stay away from it. Since you brought it up though, I totally agree!!

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I will be swaping them soon.

When he told me that I was taken back. So I asked here. I didn't think it could happen that way, as I've heard they make a popping noise & don't engage like everyone here described..

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals