• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bilstein Shocks for Bronco II

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys!

So I'm replacing a bunch of suspension parts on my Bronco II... The thing is all over the road, especially while braking, so 23 years, and 225,000 miles later I believe its time to replace some stuff! I believe the shocks on mine are original, so it is definitely in need of replacement! :thefinger:

I've researched good shocks for Bronco II's/RBV's, and while there are plenty of opinions out there, I keep hearing over and over that Bilsteins are the way to go. They're a good bit more expensive than some of the economy shocks out there, but I'm willing to pay the price for something that will last and make the truck handle better.

My question is this: I want to put Bilstein 4600 series shocks on it, and all the online shock places give a front P/N (24-022361) but no rear P/N for the Bronco II. So are the shocks from the rear of a 1990 Ranger the same as my Bronco II? The front P/N is the same as the Bronco II.

Here's the listing for the Bronco II:
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3972&selected_year=1990

And the listing for the Ranger:
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4033&selected_year=1990

The other thing is, I'm probably going to be putting Explorer Leaf Springs and possibly coils on my Bronco in the near future. The rear leafs are sagging pretty badly as most Bronco II's do. Will I still be able to use stock lenth shocks, assuming that I get the predicted 1-1.5" of lift in the back? I wouldn't think that would be a problem but I may as well ask.

I've searched and I'm not having a ton of luck finding all the answers I need, so I figured maybe one of you guys has been through this before! :icon_thumby:

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If anyone can tell me whether 90' Ranger shocks are bolt on for a Bronco II, that will pretty much answer my main question.

I'm open to other suggestions besides Bilsteins if anyone has had any great experiences... I was considering James Duff shocks for a while. They're considerably cheaper than the billies.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ranger rear shocks are definitely longer than BII rear shocks (I think by about 3" or so, but not sure on exact amount).

What I would suggest is take off one of your old shocks and measure it's fully-extended length and mounting type (double-eye), then you should be able to match something up to it in a catalog (maybe go an inch or 2 longer if you're planning on a small lift).

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had good luck with Gabriel Ultra shocks. After a pair of Monroes started leaking after less than 20,000 miles on my 2000 Ranger 2wd, I switched to the Ultras and was very pleased. You can find them online for less than $45 shipped, and they offer them for both ends of the B2. Bilsteins are great shocks, but depending on your driving, could be overkill.

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger rear shocks are definitely longer than BII rear shocks (I think by about 3" or so, but not sure on exact amount).

What I would suggest is take off one of your old shocks and measure it's fully-extended length and mounting type (double-eye), then you should be able to match something up to it in a catalog (maybe go an inch or 2 longer if you're planning on a small lift).
Thanks Junkie! Your advice is very helpful! I was sorta hoping to run across someone who had been through this before.

I just poked around a little further on that ShockWareHouse website... They list the KYB shocks for BII as 22.8" long, and the Ranger shocks as 25.6" long. So your length differences were almost spot on!

I've had good luck with Gabriel Ultra shocks. After a pair of Monroes started leaking after less than 20,000 miles on my 2000 Ranger 2wd, I switched to the Ultras and was very pleased. You can find them online for less than $45 shipped, and they offer them for both ends of the B2. Bilsteins are great shocks, but depending on your driving, could be overkill.
Thanks man, I'll look into them! How do they ride?

I do a lot of daily driving over some fairly rough roads, and I also drive offroad a lot. The offroad is about 1/2 business 1/2 pleasure, lots of rough logging roads to check timber that's being cut, etc. They will see mud, sand, snow, and water. (river and creek crossings) I figured some good quality shocks that could hold up to some decent abuse would be a good thing! :icon_thumby:

But surely anything will be better than shocks with 225k on them! :headbang:

Wasp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
4XFORD
Just thought I would jump in on this thread seeing as have a similar rig. I scored a set of Bilstein 7100 12" travel for the fronts (D35) with limiting straps and a set of Monroe air shocks for the rear (8.8). The Monroe's were made for a Ranger so as not to limit the articulation in the rear. The nice thing is, they are adjustable built well and inexpensive. I load the rear up with wood I find in the woods, I pump the shocks up to 95lbs and Bobs your uncle. Once I'm home and unloaded, back down to 65lbs for a smooth even ride.

My 2 cents,

J

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals