• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HID Reverse lights.

85b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So ahwhile back I had an extra HID kit laying around from one not working on a friends truck, and I had the idea to wire in HIDs to my reverse lights. They didnt work anyway and I wanted something different so just wired it to a switch on my dash. Anyways, since I have them on a switch 10% of the time I use my reverse lights, I accidently leave them on while driving. (got pulled over for that one night, "blinding headlights in back of my vehicle.") Since I leave them on my accident I've had a problem with the black plastic housings melting. I have a spare set of Tailights, and I'm just wondering if anyone had an idea on how to kind of heat proof the black plastic just for the reverse light area. I already have the covers and housings seperated.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
They make 15w kits just for this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
this is quite possibly the stupidest idea i've ever heard of. congratulations.

Im sorry you feel that way since an hid bulb is the brightest bulb that will fit in the factory socket and not be any hotter than the factory bulb. It for those in like cars who dont have the option to just throw on a roof rack with an led bar or halogens hooked up to a reverse relay.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Heat proof? no not without going to a cooler LED style bulb. FYI I did the simular in my old not-RBV truck, wired a backup light to trigger off reverser switch (engine on) and lite dash switch (engine off) for use as a work light.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Heat proof? no not without going to a cooler LED style bulb. FYI I did the simular in my old not-RBV truck, wired a backup light to trigger off reverser switch (engine on) and lite dash switch (engine off) for use as a work light.

I never said heat proof. Yes leds run super cool, but what im saying is the hid will produce a similar amount of heat yet 3x the light output. Unfortunately leds arent in the same light output range unless your buying oversized which tend to not fit in smaller reverse lamp hoisings

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Well, you could actually decide on wiring them up to the reverse lights, for the short amount they are on you shouldn't have a heat problem. If you can wire them up to a rocker switch, you can get one that shines an annoying bright light at you to remind you to turn them off. If you really want to do heat proofing they make the thermal insulating stuff you can buy.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
problem I see is the heat up time..... your reverse lights won't be on and bright instantly

85b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The previous owner installed a wrong reverse light switch(wrong socket type) got one off my old rangers transmission and plugged it in. and ran power to my switch. Heat up time is really no problem, just want people to know im backing up compared to the no reverse lights before. The switch was/is merely just for when I have to hook up to a stuck vehicle or need to see behind me. I just had an extra HID set laying down, had an idea and went for it, I love them.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Heat up time increase as you get in to bigger power ballast and inverters. So the power up time on the 15w is like 10 sec. 35w like 15sec. And 55w like 20secs

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals