• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My sunroof just scared me

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I drive a 1991 Mazda Navajo. I've got the 4.0, 5-speed, 2-dr, with a sunroof. The sunroof is the kind that I can either raise the back up for a little air, or pop it out completely. Well, it's a nice day, so I wanted to pop it out. Now, I've only popped it out once before this - it took a lot of effort and I didn't want to break the glass, but now it comes out easy. It started to sprinkle a little, so I put my windows up. I slowed to turn into my road, and the truck started vibrating like hell to the point where I felt sick to my stomach. I assumed it was a flat tire, so I pulled right over. I walked around the truck a couple times, shook each tire, shook the truck, everything tight. I get back in and start driving, and sure enough, I hit 25mph and it's vibrating BAD. So, I stop, and look at the truck again. This time I really looked it over good. I even grabbed the wrench to see if the lugs were tight. Couldn't find a thing. So, I put my windows down, and take off slow, looking out the window at the tires. Nothing. I sped up and slowed down, problem gone. So, I put up my windows and stated to drive home - and it was back. I finally figured it out, with the windows closed, and the sunroof removed, the air over the top of the truck buffets in and out of the sunroof, like it's resonating or something. And when I say buffet, it feels and sounds like there is a dang helicopter in my truck! I can't hear the stereo over it, I start feeling motion sickness, and my hearing is foggy for a few minutes afterward. It only does it from 25mph to 40mph or so. At 55, there's just normal wind noise. Anyone else have a sunroof that does this?

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you open just the back windows in a honda pilot it does the same. haha. it drives your passengers nuts, its the difference in air pressure and the flow of air over your car

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^ same thing with rear windows on a cherekee.

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Older watercooled VW Golfs did this. I had a 97 that actually shook it's headliner loose from the flex.
The structure is fine but the sheet metal skin doesn't take much to move it around.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
A lot of vehicles will do it depending on wind conditions and postion of windows open. If you open a single window, either front or back the yaris my GF drives does it BAD! Now, crack the window kitty corner to it even an inch, and it goes away.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals