• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I live in Ontario, and doing a V8 swap on a 2002!

TorontoEdge

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
But bought a complete 2001 Exp 5.0 so the OBDII port should function well and no codes (except I am having a hard time figuring out the manual transmission deal and the PCM).

Two issues as I want this to be legit and legal

1) e-test. I believe I fall in the 2000+ hotrod clause but since the swap is being done in 2015/2016. I have to pass requirements for post-Jan-1999. So I need to pass as a 2001 Explorer 5.0. Obviously not messing with any smog, cats or anything. Not worried about it minus the use of a manual transmission, possible check-engine light which will void the test... Ontario driveclean is retarded. From the ontario.ca site:

Motor replaced post January 1, 1999
Requirements:

Vehicle cannot legally operate if there are visible emissions for more than 15 seconds in any 5-minute period
For Drive Clean testing, the vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards of the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning.
If there weren’t any standards established for the original motor, the vehicle is deemed to be a 1980 model - the standards listed for “1980 and earlier” model-year vehicles apply
All emissions control equipment must be attached and functioning (equipment refers to what came with the replacement motor or be equivalent to what would have come with that motor)

What it means is, pass as 2001 Exp... If I put a 1968 351W in there, I'd have to pass 1980 emissions lol

2) f-ing insurance. This is my daily driver and not old enough for lent. So I need to find an insurance company that will insure my modified truck. I will get a mechanical inspection done after the swap if it will help my case (plus I'm ok with having someone else double check everything).

Any tips? No I can't register it in another province and I don't have a cottage up north...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
TorontoEdge:

Don't you need to pass as an '02 Ranger? The vehicle is still a Ranger and I'm going to assume original motor was 4.0. So, you need to pass as that combination. At least that was how the guy over in Bramalea wanted it, when I swapped the 4.3 for a 5.3 in my Blazer...

So long as your cats/etc are good, the '01 Explorer 5.0 should be close enough to pass. Ideally, you would do a test on the Explorer before tearing it down to confirm it passes. (5.3 was much cleaner than 4.3 standards).

Insurance didn't blink for me other than to say the Blazer as only insured for original replacement value (too new to be considered a classic). Then again, I was 30 plus with clean record. If it had been in an accident, the option to buy it back would have had to be crossed.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was told something similar to what Don4331 said...the truck has to pass the smog test using the original engine specification.

So...your 2002 needs to be tested as if it was running the 2002 engine...the not so good thing is that you may need to check as to whether you can put an engine that was made before your current vehicle...

It is strictly forbidden in most of the USA...and since Canada seems to model itself after California in these things it is likely that you will need to meet the highest standard in North America.

But thanks for reminding me that I need to check this all myself...I put a 1998 2.5 into a 1988 extended cab that originally had the 2.9 engine...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Best solution, and easiest, would be to have the 2001 PCM "tuned" and in the process have the automatic trans controls removed from the software.

You could also have the PATS removed at the same time but insurance may not like that.

M5OD-R2 transmission from 1997 and up F-150 with 4.2l V6 4x4 will bolt up to 5.0l engine and I would try to find a BW 4406 manual shift transfer case '96-'03 F150/F250
Good read here on that manual transfer case in Ranger: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194729

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals