• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Performance

JTCoyoté

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When they were switching websites people were using google to search achives and come up with stuff from the old site, you might look into that route.

Edit: I found it, when you only have 6 pages to look thru it doesn't take as long as I thought it would. It doesn't sound like a real surefire way but it might help you out.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102
'85_Ranger4X4... Thank you!!! Looks like I have my work cut out... It was a 2 or 3 page deal with pics and all... Oh boy!

Coyoté

Last edited:

JTCoyoté

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well Gents, I have found little bits and pieces of the article, thanks to the link you posted, Ranger. But, I have not found the whole thing. In any case here are a few juicy tidbits...

I checked the compression height for the pistons. The Mustang II pistons I used were 1.511". The Ranger pistons are supposed to be 1.539" but when I measured mine, they were something like 1.560" or so which is too much. Napa lists a 1.515" piston and a 1.535" piston. Either one would probably work but you need to be careful with clearances when using the taller one. The top of the piston would be about 0.009" above the deck of the block at TDC but the head gasket should give you approximately 0.040" between the deck of the block and the cylinder head. Using this taller piston would maximize your compression though...probably somewhere around 10.2 to 1.
If his assessment of the compression with the tall 1.535" piston is correct, the result using the shorter 1.511" piston would increase the combustion chamber volume by just over 1/4 cu.in. per cylinder... The early Mustang/Capri heads and pistons gave a ratio of 8.2 to 1, and the .130" additional stroke from the 2.9 crank adds just over 1 cu.in. per cylinder giving about 9 to 1 or so compression in this case... Even if the original compression ratio was as high as 9.2 lets say to begin with... 9.8 would be about it with the increased stroke...

Anyway here is a pic of the crank snout with dimensions ...

Crank snout details

Coyoté

Last edited:

jeffnvegas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, i'm not a mechanic, but would like to rebuild or replace the 2.8 in my sons truck that he let run out of oil, get a little more performance out of and still get it to pass smog so i can drive it on the road. we have to pass smog every year here and they inspect the engine compartment, the cat and the gas cap. is there some way to get some performance and still pass smog legally or maybe diguise it and still pass? they want 2700. to rebuild the one i have in there now and i don't know if that is even worth it. there's probably no way around this other than just parting it out?

KJMac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
FORGED PISTONS 2.8:
9-1 forged piston set for the 2800 V6 engine. We stock .030" overbore.
Priced per set of 6, includes wrist pins.
6498 FORGED PISTONS
6499 PISTON RINGS

How much is a set of the 9:1 forged pistons? And who is "we" That stocks them?

Thanks
KJ

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
reopening an old thread- lots of great information- I just bought a wrecking lot engine to rebuild, while I run the hell out of my old one. Definately getting rid of the ignition, haven't really looked into how hard it is to change the igniton, but intake and carb- The offenhauser manifold sounds great- but kind of expensive- Is there a high end two barrel that I can bolt in onto the original manifold? something simple, just electric choke and the rest mechanical??

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
I used a holley 2 barrel 350 cfm 0-7448 and it worked great with the dura-spark. Comes with either electric or manuel choke. Ask around for the offenhauser manifold, definatly worth the money of you can get it cheap! Someone might have one. I got mine here for $120.

---dave

Last edited:

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
does the stock intake work?

The main question is- Does the stock intake work for the holley 350 cfm two barrel, does the stock intake work for the motorcraft 2150? What kind of jets do I need for both of the above carbs? I had the motorcraft on my old 69 bronco that had a 302 in it so I assume that you have to rejet for the smaller engine- I'm just looking forward to this project- I know my stock carb needs rebuilt but I am ready for the new carb and ignition then I will rebuild my wrecking lot engine as the one in it slowly goes to hell

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe it's a yes on both counts for the first two, but can't say for sure as I never tried it. As for jetting that's something you are going to have to figure for yourself, there are to many variables to say that what will work for him will for you.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Will it take a 4.0 clutch and flywheel?

Badbull91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What are the benifits of 9:1vs 8:1 pistons and is it really worth the difference in money

jimbbski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Higher compression will give you more power and MPG's per unit of gasoline. On a new build with ign. timing set you can run it on regular. As long as you don't get any build up of deposits on the pistons, etc. you should have no issues long term.

I just took apart a 2.8L engine that had some work done to the heads. The builder, an old friend, used 2.6L heads and matching intake. The intake side of these heads look like the 2.9L heads but the order of the intakes & exhaust are the same as the 2.8L. And you get only two exhaust ports per head! That's a throw back to the German origin of this engine design. It started out as a V4.

This engine is getting totally rebuilt with a Comp Cam (.424" lift), the head has bigger valves installed already but it needs new guides and a simple valve job to make it right. I might clean up the port while I'm at it too.
The carb will be a Weber 38 DGAS, sort of like the Holley 2 bbl as both throttles open at the same time where the Weber carb that came stock was the 32/36 DGV.
With a .020 over bore and some slightly high com. pistons I would bet this engine will make around 140+ HP. Maybe more but I'm being conservative.
The engine came out of and will return to a 1974 Capri that's been sitting in a garage for over 25 years. The current owner bought it in California back in the late 80's and drove it back to the Chicago area. He parked it in the winter and one spring in the early 90's he decided to redo the interior and that kept the car off the road that year and every year since.

Cpdarm80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am new and there is a lot of information on this thread, but I have called Jegs, Summit, Edelbrock and a few smaller shops to find new 2.8L exhaust manifolds or headers, and not 1 carries any of the part numbers listed on this thread. I want to replace the entire exhaust system from motor to exhaust tip. I have found everything fro the Cat back, but nothing forward from the cat. Any updated p/n would be great.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I am new and there is a lot of information on this thread, but I have called Jegs, Summit, Edelbrock and a few smaller shops to find new 2.8L exhaust manifolds or headers, and not 1 carries any of the part numbers listed on this thread. I want to replace the entire exhaust system from motor to exhaust tip. I have found everything fro the Cat back, but nothing forward from the cat. Any updated p/n would be great.
best bet to find headers is to locate old ford aerostar vans that had the 2,8 engine in them. ford new they were going to use a different engine and had header style pipes built for just these vans. I used to have a set of them years back and sold them with the 4 barrel intake. (was at the time going to put them into my car)...

hope this helps anyone else looking for pipes for a 2.8

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals