• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seafoam treatment made it worse!

Blue98Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all. Yeah I sprayed 3/4 of a can of SeaFoam into the intake manifold, using the vacuum line from the brake booster. Now, the thing runs rougher at idle, and stumbles sometimes when cold, when throttle is applied below 2000rpm. Has lousy/uneven power below 2000rpms too. Especially before the engine warms up completely. Any ideas? Been that way for a couple weeks now. How could squirting SeaFoam make things worse?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Maybe it knocked some stuff loose but is still clogging something up. More Seafoam is what I'm thinkin"

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Could be a lot of things - fouled plug(s), fouled injector(s), a sensor not reading correctly, chunk of carbon that came loose and plugged something up. Etc.

Check engine light on? or off? Any codes present?

I really don't believe in Seafoam treatments - but mostly because you're paying $9 for a buck or less worth of ingredients. It's essentially rubbing alcohol and some basic petroleum based solvents.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I really don't believe in Seafoam treatments - but mostly because you're paying $9 for a buck or less worth of ingredients. It's essentially rubbing alcohol and some basic petroleum based solvents.
1) Wow, SeaFoam is cheap where you live. Best price around me is about $12 a can unless you find it BOGO or something.

2) Berryman's B12 is the same stuff for about $5.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think O'Reilly had it for $8.99 a can when I was in there buying a brake hose last week. I don't know, I buy half full cans at garage sales and stuff for 50 cents or whatever but I don't think I've ever bought a new can from a store. Rip off for what it is.

B12 is in an aerosol can, right? Think I've got a can of it somewhere in the shop.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could be a lot of things - fouled plug(s), fouled injector(s), a sensor not reading correctly, chunk of carbon that came loose and plugged something up. Etc.
Could be a chunk of carbon in a valve too.

I tried the stuff on my 2.8 and it did nothing. Never felt the need to give it a second chance. Haven't had an engine in that poor of shape since to justify it either.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I never recommend using the vacuum line method, it doesn't distribute evenly throughout all the valves and cylinders this way. If your going to do it, it should be applied in front of the throttle body. That being said, My guess is you fouled the plugs and ill bet itll end up only being the ones towards the rear of the engine since this is where the majority of the seafoam would end up when going through the booster line.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Yep putting it in through a vacuum port swirls that crap with a vengeance. Cleans lots and clogs stuff occasionally.

Blue98Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Check engine light on? or off? Any codes present?

No check engine lights. I pulled and inspected all the spark plugs last night. Spark plugs were super clean with just a hint of golden brown deposits. The gap was a little too small on all 6 plugs but I set them to the spec written on the tag over the radiator in the front of the engine bay. No change. Should I use another can of Seafoam?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals