• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bendix shearing

tlcasey100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 ford ranger with a 2.9 and someone put a 5 speed( speed with od) and i was told the tranny was from a 93 model ranger. I need to know why starters keep shearing the bendix teeth off. Is there so much difference between the 2.9 and later engine flywheel diameters that the teeth go up inside the flywheel teeth to much or what. I am ready to set it on fire and watch it burn! Hellllllllllllp me! Thank you!

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is it the teeth getting sheared or is it the sheet metal casing surrounding the gears of the "over running clutch"? I have had problems with the sheet metal getting chewed away. I suspect it's the nose cone getting hammered and the washer digs into the nose deeper.

Plus the auto and standard starters are different.

tlcasey100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
teeth missing from bendix

I was told tranny I have is out of a 93 and was probably in a 2.3 or a 4.0 which would probably place the Bendix to close to the flywheel and want to shear the teeth off of it. My local mechanic said that the teeth need room that they are not getting and need some space from the flywheel.Also where is the sheet metal you describe. Also half the teeth were missing of the bendix drive this is also a manual transmission Thank You is there a difference between a starter for a 3 speed and a 4 speed with overdrive. Sorry for all the questions but I have been through 3 starters so far.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 2.3 trans just wouldn't bolt up at all.

A 4.0 would bolt up, and could work, if it was done correctly. If the 2.9 flywheel was used with a 2.9 starter, and a 4.0 locating plate then it shouldn't engage at all. The 2.9 flywheel is a lot smaller than the 4.0. 8 2/3" vs 10".

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I can see a couple probs here. 1st check number of teeth on the flywheel. when starter is off, get a white steel marker and mark a tooth, then get a friend to hand turn the motor at crank, slowly and count 10 teeth, then mark in tens. then cross reference the starter teeth count for that transmission.

as said above, auto and manual starters can have different nose cone lengths and bendix spring throws. make sure you have the proper set up.

I had to do all this on a 302 build with starter/fly wheel not fully meshing.

good luck with it.

PS, you need to start a question like this in the proper section. There is transmission section/2.9 section. this will make it easier for your problems/questions to get read and answered. only reason i found this was to search out your posts after seeing it re-asked in the projects section..... Please help mods keep this site neat.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
is it too tight or too loose? or crashing and binding...then busting teeth off or just barely catching and blowing the gear to hell??

I have seen strange shit doing this over the years with these engines....now when I mix/match I try to do it with a powertrain outside the vehicle. getting all the right parts is easier that way.

doing swaps the wiring is even worse. it is why I suggest complete known running assemblies doing the full 4.0 swap.

all my notes are long gone on this subject so its just severely distorted memories now.:icon_confused: but I have performed dozens of swaps over the last 30 plus years...

I assume you have a 2.9 with the later m5od. if that is the case your in good shape once you figure this out as it is the best trans you can have stock by miles for a 2.9.

sounds like a 2.8 fly or spacer is on there or the wrong crank spacing. but any can have wrong spacing. (SOMETIMES)there can a index difference between the 3 engines. I don't remember the details of it, but I do remember the flywheel teeth are all the same. so the spacer plate can fawk ya if you have an auto plate on a manual and the wrong starter. there is variance to that.

and if someone modded the spacer block plate nicely so it looks factory to allow the wrong combination to index, it can be a trainwreck to correct it. or maybe you just need to modify it a bit more and all will be well.

I don't suggest that.

you can add a shim to it externally or at the crank...if you do external... stud the starter holes with good locktight.

if it were me.

I would obtain the known correct combination of parts...spacer, blockplate, and starter and compare them to what you have...replace what is wrong and getonwith wearing it out.

and if it is not already equipped... run the 4.0 flywheel, spacer and clutch because it has the bigger clutch. the 2.9 clutch is ok but if budget allows the upgrade is ideal.

look at our tech library, you can do this.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does your truck have the spacer plate between the engine and transmission? If not. There’s your issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals