• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine block plate

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1987 ranger that is a 2.9 with a fm145 trans. The block plate or starter shim plate that goes between the motor and trans is shot. It is causing me major problems with my starter. I have looked all over to find another one. The dealer does not carry it anymore. I have looked at junk yards on line and came up empty. Does anybody know what years and or models this plate works on. The P/N is E37E-6A373-E. Any help would be great in my search for a replacement.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can nab one from any 2.8, or 2.9, or a 4.0 auto. I think I have one or two still kicking around.

EDIT: Looks like I have two left. One is early, with the big hole, but it is a little tweaked, it can be straightened out easy enough though. The other one looks like it is off a SOHC engine, the starter hole is a little different, and you might have to use a later starter with it.

Last edited:

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can nab one from any 2.8, or 2.9, or a 4.0 auto. I think I have one or two still kicking around.

EDIT: Looks like I have two left. One is early, with the big hole, but it is a little tweaked, it can be straightened out easy enough though. The other one looks like it is off a SOHC engine, the starter hole is a little different, and you might have to use a later starter with it.
Can you get a picture of the older one? Mine is toast at the starter area. The guide pin holes are oblong as well. Name your price. If it is able to work especially around starter area that would very cool. What about the newer one and what starter will I need?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'll get some pics either later today, or tomorrow morning. Depends on what this afternoon holds.

The newer one I have came out of an 01 Sport Trac, auto trans.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll get some pics either later today, or tomorrow morning. Depends on what this afternoon holds.

The newer one I have came out of an 01 Sport Trac, auto trans.
Had a chance to find out shipping yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the block plate. I just got my truck back together. I can say from what I have experienced and everything I tried, the fix for the grinding starter issue is not five or six starters, shims and or whatever else people have tried, it is to replace the block plate. It is a pain in the ass but from what I found its the only real fix. Again, thanks for the block plate it saved my truck.:yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals