• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 switch not working

ttscooks10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hi,i have a 98 ranger 4x4.i turn the 4x4 switch from 2wd to 4wd high.it clicks a few times.and the 4wd high and 4wd low lights flash on the dash a few times and then off.the lights flash again intermintally going down the road.any ideas?thanx tim

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The switch tells the GEM to request 4x4 High, Low, 2wd, etc. At that point, the GEM applies power to the motor and waits for continuity across the appropriate set of contacts at the transfer case confirming that the shift was successful. It sounds like the switch and the GEM are working, but that the shift motor is unable to move the transfer case linkage properly. I'd pop off and confirm that you can shift the case (pliers will work for that test), then clean up everything behind the motor to ensure it can do its job as easily as possible.

ttscooks10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
great thanx.what do I need to pop off and where is it located?
The switch tells the GEM to request 4x4 High, Low, 2wd, etc. At that point, the GEM applies power to the motor and waits for continuity across the appropriate set of contacts at the transfer case confirming that the shift was successful. It sounds like the switch and the GEM are working, but that the shift motor is unable to move the transfer case linkage properly. I'd pop off and confirm that you can shift the case (pliers will work for that test), then clean up everything behind the motor to ensure it can do its job as easily as possible.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Sorry, meant to say pop off the shift motor on the transfer case.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the same issue on my '99 Ranger 4x4.

Fastpakr is correct, pull the shift motor.

I pulled mine apart and cleaned all the switch contacts and other gunk while in there, then sealed it with RTV before reinstalling it. Works now.

Still looking to ditch the motor and do a manual selector conversion.

jz78817

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
great thanx.what do I need to pop off and where is it located?
if you have or know someone who has access to a code reader, do a scan and see if code P1867 pops up. I have this issue with my 2011; the code means "Transfer case contact plate general circuit failure."

from what I've been able to find, the contact plate closes a circuit to tell the control module that the transfer case has been successfully put into 4WD, and if it doesn't see that feedback it'll go back to 2WD and set that code. I usually can get it to go into 4WD after a few tries. supposedly if you go for long periods w/o using 4WD the contacts can get dirty or corroded and won't reliably make continuity.

when it warms up I'm going to crawl under there and do what they said and try to clean it up.

ttscooks10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the old motor down.i turned the switch to 4wl.clicked a few times and 4wl light on dash flashed on and off.so I went ahead and got a new motor.the old one has a black wire going into the end of the transfer case.the new one doesn't have it.what is this wire for? I spliced it and by passed the plug. installed new one ,turned the switch.no clicking but 4wl light on dash still flashing.went for ride .stopped tried switch,still not switching on.4wl light still flashing intermittingly.dash switch?thanx tim

Last edited:

ttscooks10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
took a couple days after I changed the motor,but it switches to 4wd high but something clicks under the truck when I put it in 4wd high and drive.sounds like its not engaging the whole way.and when I put to 4wd low theres nothing,no light for 4wd low on the dash.i pulled the motor,it changes to 2wd and 4wd high but wont change in 4wd low.maybe new motor is bad?
I pulled the old motor down.i turned the switch to 4wl.clicked a few times and 4wl light on dash flashed on and off.so I went ahead and got a new motor.the old one has a black wire going into the end of the transfer case.the new one doesn't have it.what is this wire for? I spliced it and by passed the plug. installed new one ,turned the switch.no clicking but 4wl light on dash still flashing.went for ride .stopped tried switch,still not switching on.4wl light still flashing intermittingly.dash switch?thanx tim

Last edited:

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One way to test the motor is to plug the wiring harness, without the motor bolted on, turn the ignition to ON position or start the truck, have someone turn the 4wd knob to each position while you hold it and watch if it moves back and forth. I did it by sticking 2 pieces of wire to the positive and negative prongs it the motor and touching them to the battery, but I can't remember which wires I used exactly, so if you're not sure which wires then the first way it's safer.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is a common problem usually caused because of lack of use. You should always try to put your truck into 4WD at least a few times a year to avoid these issues. Just find a grassy field in the summer and do some circles in 4WD to keep the contacts fresh if you only use the 4WD in the winter. The more you use the 4WD the better the contacts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals